moving external hard drive to pc

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jdennis61

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Has anyone used their external hard drive for the dvr programming and then moved it to the computer. I had all the programs deleted off of it but the pc would not rcognize it. Does it have to be reformatted now to use on the computer? How do you go about it ? Dish reps were of no help.
Jeff

Yes, it needs to be reformatted for your PC if you're running Windows. Should still be visible if using Linux.

it is a proprietary data stream. You need the receiver to decode it.

He's not asking how to access the data on the drive. He wants to know how to reuse the drive on his PC.

The disk on my 622 has two partitions of type 0x83 (Linux native) on it. The first partition is 1GB, second is 499GB. Each partition contains an ext2 file system. To use the whole drive on your Windows system, I'd recommend deleting both partitions, then creating one big one to span the whole drive, and then format it with NTFS. Unless you suspect the drive is going bad, save yourself some time and do a quick format.

Connect drive to your PC on a port active in BIOS or via a USB 2.0 adapter.

Wait for BIOS (BOOT)/USB (audible tone) to see the drive.

Right click my computer and select Manage.

Select Disk Management.

Find the drive in the right hand window, it has three partitions on it.

Right click on the drive and delete the partitions.

Right click on the drive, create a new partition, format it and you are ready to go.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)