Moving from HWS to H3 tomorrow - any suggestions/advice?

barryaz1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Scottsdale AZ
Since I can no longer be blamed by my wife for the Carbon change, I'm moving onto the H3. Excited to see the end of conflicts.

Any suggestions or advice? I'm doing the following:
  • Backing up Settings to my 40.0 remote (which I'll be sure to keep)
  • Transferring recordings to an EHD and keeping the HWS for a few days in case I have to transfer via coax (BTW, I remember a detailed thread about that, but can't find it, someone please point)
  • Taking screen photo shots of all my (many) timers, just in case
  • Prepared to have patience for a few days while it "settles in"
Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Went pretty smoothly yesterday. I had asked for a Dish employee, not a contractor, and got a VERY experienced one who knew what he was doing and made sure it fit into my system. My only glitch so far is that the Restore via remote didn't work. But I'm busy reentering my timers now, using the screenshots I took before.

Early on things I've noticed...
  • Remote response seems different. I'm used to using 15X to zip through commercials and maybe having to back up 20 seconds for the right spot. Now it seems I need 30-40 seconds to do that. Not sure why.
  • The speed just tells me how much HWS should never have to be on Carbon. It was so abominably slow on the HWS. This is how it should be.
  • The Guide's Modern theme needs to be a greater contrast. To me, not legible enough during the day and I'm not going to change my TV's custom settings for that.
More to come...

Busy entering timers and redoing 4 different Favorites lists. And why can't those automatically copy over to the Joeys???

Joey's are standalones, Favorites wise. Think of it this way, you have your favorites on your Hopper. Your kid has a Joey in his bedroom and has his favorites loaded on that Joey. Your wife watches another TV wit it's Joey. You get the picture..... :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Joey's are standalones, Favorites wise. Think of it this way, you have your favorites on your Hopper. Your kid has a Joey in his bedroom and has his favorites loaded on that Joey. Your wife watches another TV wit it's Joey. You get the picture..... :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
I realized that, but how about as an option. My kids are out of the house (but they use Remote Viewer) and my wife is clueless about this stuff.:coco

Am I correct that there is no longer such a thing as a keyword Seek record? And the same for say, a movie that is not currently available, and would have automatically recorded it when available? Silly if so. Taking away features...

Am I correct that there is no longer such a thing as a keyword Seek record? And the same for say, a movie that is not currently available, and would have automatically recorded it when available? Silly if so. Taking away features...

Sadly, yes you are. I'm still very annoyed about this.

I too wish there were global favorites lists or an easy way to copy them. We do each make our own favorites lists, but we want each or our lists on all of the receivers.

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)