"Moving" from VA Beach to Cleveland

dclboro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 11, 2007
After making a "move" from VA Beach to Cleveland, will there be a need to readjust the dish? The current dish angles in VA Beach are: Azimuth-244, Elevation-27, Skew-132. The angles for Cleveland are: Azimuth-236, Elevation-28, Skew-124. Is there a way to check it to see if the dish can stay pointed where it is at before going through with the "move"? Will checking the signal strengths in the "Point Dish" part of the Dish Network main menu work? How about changing the transporter numbers to check, or will the signal strengths be comepletely different after the "move"?

I somehow think you're missing the idea of a "move". Your dish angles stay the same. The issue is whether the particular spotbeam of the city you're looking to "move" to will reach where you're currently living.

I know the spotbeam from Cleveland will not reach VA Beach and I will be unable to get Cleveland local channels. The reason for the move is so I won't get blackouts for games on Fox Sports Ohio and Sports Time Ohio on my Multi-Sport Package. I planned on using an OTA antenna to attach to my dish to get my VA Beach local channels. Do you think this will work? And are you saying that I won't have to readjust for 110 or 119? I know there is no reason to adjust 129 because that is for the local channels that I won't be able to reach anyway.

If the spot-beam won't reach you, then no amount of fiddling or adjusting your AZ, EL or Skew is going to change things for you. The settings for the Cleveland ZIP code are for someone in that area. If you adjust your dish while in VA Beach, then you won't receive ANY programming from the 110 or 119.

So if I leave it alone I should be able to recieve all of the same channels on 110 and 119 including removal of the blackout restrictions that I now receive on Fox Sports Ohio and Sports Time Ohio?

Will using the OTA antenna that is attached to my dish work for keeping my local VA Beach HD channels?

I am approx. 23 miles from all of the HD transmitters in my area. I tried an indoor with varying success. I figured that ordering the antenna that clips on the dish from Dish Network would definitely work. You don't think so?

I am approx. 23 miles from all of the HD transmitters in my area. I tried an indoor with varying success. I figured that ordering the antenna that clips on the dish from Dish Network would definitely work. You don't think so?

They DEFINATELY WILL work just fine for all sd and hd signals within a 35 mile radius from the broadcast towers. I have used mine for over 4 years and my parents use one on their sat dish too and no problems. I use the terk 44 amplified and I receive all my locals in both hd and sd and on good nights I can get Houston ,Tx signals from 90 miles aways .

Don't be worried about the comments against the clip on antenna. There is a real biasis on this and other sites against the Terk. It is almost a prejudice against them. Since you are within 23 miles from the towers you should be just fine.

I live about 20 miles from the towers & couln't pick up anything with the terk clip on, went to rat shack & bought a $20 yagi & now pick up everything. If it works for you great, didn't work for me.

Who says the broadcast towers are located roughly southwest of his location, which is the direction his dish is pointed ?? What if the TV towers are due north of him ?? Those clip-on antenna are *directional* and if you're pointed 180' the *wrong* way, it would be interesting to see how well it works...

Oh wait, it worked for *you* though. They must be good.

The terk44 clip on antennas has multi - directional amplifier gain VHF 18db typical and UHF 12 db typical impedance. I can pick up all 3 of my hd stations and they are located in different directions from where I am located. My ABC is in the opposite direction from my Cbs and NBC. I get the following in signal strengths on my main tv located fartherst from my antenna :

Cbs - 100 strength
Nbc - 85 strength
ABC - 75 stength
* NO Fox in digital yet.

I get the following on the channels closest to my antenna and dish:

Cbs - 100 stength
Nbc - 90 stength
Abc - 80 stength.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)