moving HD to 101 satellite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ehamp

Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Heard that DTV is talking about moving current 119 HD satellite to 101 Sateliite, which is higher up to allow more persons to recieve HD. Anyone have any more info on this that was told to me by DTV representative

What? What rep? Where? Names? Recordings? Welcome to Sat - Guys LOL 1st post and its a breaking news story.

The satellite will not be HIGHER if moved to a new orbital slot, just more centrally located above the CONUS.

A geostationary orbit (abbreviated GEO) is a circular orbit directly above the Earth's equator (0º latitude). Any point on the equator plane revolves about the Earth in the same direction and with the same period as the Earth's rotation. It is a special case of the geosynchronous orbit (abbreviated GSO), and the one which is of most interest to operators of artificial satellites (including communication and television satellites). Satellite locations may differ by longitude only (remember in geostationary orbit latitude is zero).

The idea of a geosynchronous satellite for communication purposes was first published in 1928 by Herman Potocnik. Geosynchronous and geostationary orbits were first popularised by science fiction author Arthur C. Clarke in 1945 as useful orbits for communications satellites. As a result they are sometimes referred to as Clarke orbits. Similarly, the Clarke Belt is the part of space approximately 35,786 km above mean sea level in the plane of the equator where near-geostationary orbits may be achieved.

Geostationary orbits are useful because they cause a satellite to appear stationary with respect to a fixed point on the rotating Earth. As a result, an antenna can point in a fixed direction and maintain a link with the satellite. The satellite orbits in the direction of the Earth's rotation, at an altitude of approximately 35,786 km (22,240 statute miles) above ground. This altitude is significant because it produces an orbital period equal to the Earth's period of rotation, known as the sidereal day.

Geostationary orbits can only be achieved very close to the ring 35,786 km directly above the equator. In practice this means that all geostationary satellites have to exist on this ring, which poses problems for satellites needing to be decommissioned at the end of their service life (for example when they run out of thruster fuel). Such satelites will either continue to be used in inclined orbits (where the orbital track appears to follow a figure-of-eight loop centred on the Equator) or be raised to a "graveyard" disposal orbit.

A geostationary transfer orbit is used to move a satellite from low Earth orbit (LEO) into a geostationary orbit. A worldwide network of operational geostationary satellites are used by meteorological satellites to provide visible, as well as infrared images of Earth's surface and atmosphere. These satellite systems include:

* the US GOES
* METEOSAT, launched by the European Space Agency and operated by the European Weather Satellite Organization, EUMETSAT
* the Japanese GMS

Most commercial communications satellites and television satellites operate in geostationary orbits. (Russian television satellites have used elliptical Molnya and Tundra orbits due to the high latitudes of the receiving audience.)

A statite, a hypothetical satellite that uses a solar sail to modify its orbit, could theoretically hold itself in a "geostationary" orbit with different altitude and/or inclination from the "traditional" equatorial geostationary orbit. However, this would rely on using the solar wind at high altitude outside the Earth's magnetosphere.

Last edited:
Geostationary orbit

Thanks for taking the time out of your very busy schedule to explain to me about Geostationary orbits.

ehamp said:
Heard that DTV is talking about moving current 119 HD satellite to 101 Sateliite, which is higher up to allow more persons to recieve HD. Anyone have any more info on this that was told to me by DTV representative

how is the 119 a HD satellite??

Sorry, but I don't understand the logic behind a move like this. 101 already has all 32 lincensed transponders in use so how would this provide more capacity?

i think the original post was they were taking the HD channels off the 119 sat and instead moving them to 101 or maybe 103/99.
moving channels around not satellites

shappyss said:
i think the original post was they were taking the HD channels off the 119 sat and instead moving them to 101 or maybe 103/99.
moving channels around not satellites

The OP said "Heard that DTV is talking about moving current 119 HD satellite to 101 Sateliite, which is higher up to allow more persons to recieve HD. Anyone have any more info on this that was told to me by DTV representative" not moving channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts