Moving joey to different location

tsimm

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
I have a Hopper with Joey,and I moved it from upstairs to downstairs.

I put a Tap at the Hopper and connected to existing RG6 coax that was present at the Hopper location.

Wire is tested and verified good.

The existing upstairs wiring to Joey is connected to a client port at the dish on roof.

Now the Joey cannot connect to any sat signals.

What am I doing wrong?It should work!

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Wait... you had a hopper and joey working fine then you went to move it correct? Did you have a tap in the lines before it was moved?

The joey should be connected to the client port of the Solo node or from the tap if it was even needed to start with...not have the joey run directly to the satellite dish.

The Joey was connected to the dish node,client port, when it was upstairs.I moved it downstairs,where an existing RG6 coax was present from the Hopper to the downstairs bedroom.No splices or splitters,just a solid run of coax.By looking at the schematics on the Dish pages,I determined that I needed a tap off of the Hopper to the coax feeding the Joey,so I installed a tap,and connected the coax going to the Joey. Joey now acts as if no coax is connected,but I know the coax is good,I had been sending the Hopper to it via a modulator on same coax that I am now using for the Joey.Does the Hopper have to be reprogrammed to see the Joey on the new cable?I have rebooted both receivers to no avail.Hopper shows no linked Joeys now.

The Hopper was connected directly to the node.I removed the coax and put it on the Tap, on the Node port.I put the Hopper on the Host port,and the Joey on the Client port.I even replaced the tap with another one in case it was defective.Same result.
The Joey was previously connected directly to the client node located at the dish.That cable is not used now,and I terminated it with a 75 ohm terminator,as recommended by Dish.But it makes no difference whether it is terminated or not.Are there any changes that need to be made in order to activate the Joey on the new cable (Tap) location?

No, that's correct... I'd try a hard reset of the system. Unplug the joey, then the hopper from electricity. Then plug the hopper in, let it get all the way back to live TV, then plug the joey in and let it do its thing...

OK,problem solved!It was a bad tap after all.1 good out of 3 taps.Brand new.poor quality control,I guess.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Another question:Can I operate 2 Hoppers (with sling) from 1 coax,(coming from a duo-feed Host port)?

If so,will I need an isolator between the 2 Hoppers?

Thanks again in advance.

Another question:Can I operate 2 Hoppers (with sling) from 1 coax,(coming from a duo-feed Host port)?

Thanks again in advance.

No, each Hopper needs it's own wire from the node.

OK,problem solved!It was a bad tap after all.1 good out of 3 taps.Brand new.poor quality control,I guess.

Thanks again in advance.

Wow... after installing prob hundreds of these things (taps) I can honestly say that it is super rare for one of them to be bad. I would put a solo node near the dish often times on upgrades to avoid running extra lines everywhere and use taps like no other!!

You will need a duo node replacing the solo node - and each hopper must have its own line to the node but you can still tap between like you are doing for a joey.

I have a Hopper with Joey,and I moved it from upstairs to downstairs.

I put a Tap at the Hopper and connected to existing RG6 coax that was present at the Hopper location.

Wire is tested and verified good.

The existing upstairs wiring to Joey is connected to a client port at the dish on roof.

Now the Joey cannot connect to any sat signals.

What am I doing wrong?It should work!

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Unused ports in a Hopper/Joey system must be terminated for reliable MOCA operation. Leaving the coax coming off the CLIENT port at the node connected and unterminated WILL cause problems. You can move a Joey around as long as you install a termination at the unused location(s).

Thanks again in advance.

You will need 3 cables from the dish to a duo node then one cable for each Hopper from the duo node.

Unused ports in a Hopper/Joey system must be terminated for reliable MOCA operation. Leaving the coax coming off the CLIENT port at the node connected and unterminated WILL cause problems. You can move a Joey around as long as you install a termination at the unused location(s).

ya know...I tested this a while back and after a month of operation I left an unterminated cable coming off the node for the hell of it and there hasn't been a single issue.

ya know...I tested this a while back and after a month of operation I left an unterminated cable coming off the node for the hell of it and there hasn't been a single issue.
I've had mine disconnected and un-terminated for extended periods (months) with no ill effects while testing Joey over VPN and Joey over wireless adapter. I'm sure if an install was borderline the terminators would make a difference, but if moca strength is good you can get by without them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts