"Moving" Oddity

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nicklenights

Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
So after dealing with Dish's sas-backwards blackout policies, I decided to "move" but something I really didn't expect happened.

Here's the backstory, ever since I switched to Dish from DTV, I've been double blacked out of Chicago Cubs and Sox games. They've been blacked out on Comcast Chicago (as they should be, I'm in the Brewers market), but they are also blacked out on nationally televised games on ESPN and TBS (which I should get per MLB rules). Dish can't give me a reason, they just say its not their fault. I live in the Madison market, about 10 miles north of the IL Border.

Last night, I "moved" to my work address in the Rockford Market. It appears the change took effect, because FSN North is no longer on my RSNs and the Madison local channels have disappeared from my channels in the 0-99 range.

However, I'm not getting Rockford locals, and I'm still getting Madison locals in the 7000 channel range.

Has anyone seen this before, and can someone tell me the reason? I would like to get the Rockford Local, but its not a big deal - I can get both markets OTA -more than anything I'd just like an explaination as to how this is possible.

update

Well, at least for Sports prgramming, I'm certainly in the Rockford Market now.

Last night I was able to watch the Cubs, Sox, Brewers, and Cardinals on RSN and Alternate channels. Even more remarkable was that the Cardinals game on ESPN was also viewable, even though I get the RSN feed. I really wish I knew why Dish was so selective with which blackout rules it chooses to follow.

Having said that, I'm still getting Madison locals for the network affiliates, and I still can't figure out why that would be.

Well, at least for Sports prgramming, I'm certainly in the Rockford Market now.

Last night I was able to watch the Cubs, Sox, Brewers, and Cardinals on RSN and Alternate channels. Even more remarkable was that the Cardinals game on ESPN was also viewable, even though I get the RSN feed. I really wish I knew why Dish was so selective with which blackout rules it chooses to follow.

Having said that, I'm still getting Madison locals for the network affiliates, and I still can't figure out why that would be.

You are grandfathered to those locals.

I moved from the San Francisco DMA to my home Market which is Monterey/Salinas, as a result The SF locals were still there without the HD mapdowns in the "002-0's"..

I still pay for locals but when I searched about this I found out that those are my grandfather locals.

what dose that mean? does that mean i can keep my sioux city locals ut then move to say new york if i want to watch the mets. i dont not care about ny local. i just wont to watch mets and keep my locals here in iowa.

I dont know how rules are now I moved way before the ruling against E* about Distant Networks..

I moved back around October last year for an upgrade I needed.

My address is legit though.. I could take my receiver there and back, but I added a new TV to the house and needed a new receiver for it.

However, I'm not getting Rockford locals, and I'm still getting Madison locals in the 7000 channel range.

I had a similar experience when I "moved" from Chicago back to Phoenix a while back. I was not getting Phoenix locals, but was getting Phoenix RSN. I was not getting Chicago RSN but was getting Chicago locals in the 7000 range, however they weren't mapped down.

It seemed to me as simple as the CSR forgetting to switch the locals. My bill showed the Phoenix address, FSN AZ and Chicago locals. I have since "moved" back and everything is as it should be.

what dose that mean? does that mean i can keep my sioux city locals ut then move to say new york if i want to watch the mets. i dont not care about ny local. i just wont to watch mets and keep my locals here in iowa.

If you 'move' to NY, you should get NY locals (the HD ones will not be seen where you are since they are on spot beam, a lot of the sd locals are also on spot beam. You would only get about 7 or 8 on NY's local channels, but you would get SNY for most of the Mets, the balance of the Mets would be on WPIX which you can get now as a superstation, although you will not get the HD version of the channel.

I had a similar experience when I "moved" from Chicago back to Phoenix a while back. I was not getting Phoenix locals, but was getting Phoenix RSN. I was not getting Chicago RSN but was getting Chicago locals in the 7000 range, however they weren't mapped down.

It seemed to me as simple as the CSR forgetting to switch the locals. My bill showed the Phoenix address, FSN AZ and Chicago locals. I have since "moved" back and everything is as it should be.

It seems like it may just be the "luck of the draw". Or, as you stated, a customer service representative that is forgetting to switch the locals. I'd love to "move" to southern Alabama right now (for the Braves, Rays, and Marlins) but I would want to keep my locals as well (out of Greenville, SC). I guess the only way I'll know is if I try.

I like your avatar, by the way! :D I support the University of Arizona (which is very apparent on my Facebook profile). I often support the softball and football teams.

Cade

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I suspect a semi-clueless CSR may be a big part of the reason. When I called to "move" she was a bit puzzled that I didn't need someone to actually set up new equipment, and then she was apparently having computer problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)