Moving receivers...

aamiowa

Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Iowa
Please help me...
I have a total of 3 receivers in my home.
One in an upstairs bedroom for my son-- that is a single signal receiver-- and I want to leave that one the way it is.
Another one, just like it in what used to be the downstairs den-- which is now my bedroom.
The third receiver is in the living room-- and it also serves the kitchen tv and the one in my old bedroom upstairs....
What I would like to do is-- move the receiver from my bedroom (single receiver) to the living room and the one in the living room to my bedroom-- so the living room TV is stand a lone-- and the one in my bedroom serves the kitchen and upstairs bedroom tv's. Can I do this without climbing 98547 feet to the top of my 2.5 story peaked roof house-- where the dish is located and a bunch of diverters? Can I just move them?

Last edited:
Well how does the signal from the *dual* receiver in the Living room get to the Kitchen? Is it through a diplexer?

this is probably a BASIC diagram for *just* your dual tuner receiver that currently feeds the kitchen
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4426/dishdiagrambz5.png

A diplexer allows you to put uhf/vhf signal onto the Sat IN cable line ... so suspect that up in your attic the feed line from your dish, is open, plugged into a diplexer, and kitchen coax cable, on the other side of the diplexer the line continues to your living room, there the diplexer splits out the SAT feeds (which are further split for Sat Tuner 1 & 2) and hooked up to your Coax TV OUT on the receiver.

The problem becomes moving the break in the line where the diplexer is that feeds the kitchen.

If all your lines came from the satellite dish, into your attic and then to your individual rooms, then you need to find the feed to where you want the dual tuner to go, cut it, put heads on it, and move the diplexer over ... you'd need to put a barrel connector onto the line where you pulled the diplexer out, so that you make that cable line a single path again.. then move your receiver, keeping the diplexer and separator to the feed line that you just broke open in the attic.

*if* however your install is direct to each location from the dish (not common path into attic) then you've got a more difficult problem on your hands. If you have an older install, where the feeds come into the attic, and then you have a DP Switch up there.. then you're even luckier, because you don't have to cut the lines, and put new heads on, you just need to move which line the Diplexer is connected to, to the line that feeds your new location.

ya follow?

I just decided to give it a try... I climbed up on the roof and traced the cables from the living room and the den-- and then just switched them-- from right where they come off the dish and into what I call 'splitters'... Then I moved the receivers. And it worked perfectly. Now the living room is 'stand alone' and the other three rooms share the receiver/dvr ....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)