Moving Recorded Shows between Accounts (Not Allowed)

Poor reasoning. It assumes the industry is just fine with analog being so easily copied. If analog could be restricted without being easily defeated it would be, and it's one reason digital was embraced because it can be. They don't want analog so easily copied but really have no good choice on that, and the industry also knows we are fast moving towards people expecting HD quality so in the not too distant future you will see less analog outputs. Just as people were forced to get a digital TV or get a (somewhat clunky) converter box, to watch OTA, so too will they have to get analog out. Cable companies too are fast moving towards new delivery systems that outdate simply watching by attaching a cable, among them Switched Digital Video and of course Clear QAM. After a period (I think a year) you will pay for use of those needed boxes. So your complete premise is very weak at best, there are very credible human beings that understand why Analog is tolerated to be easily copied, for now.

I disagree with most of your logic.

The primary, if not only, reason the TV was converted to digital was because of bandwidth and frequency allocation. Digital TV takes a fraction of the spectrum to transmit. Analog video is HUGE and that is why it was converted.

Additionally, the power required to transmit analog is huge in comparison to digital and using digital technology the data can be compressed to a mere fraction of the same data in an analog format. Either can be encrypted for security.

I disagree with most of your logic.

The primary, if not only, reason the TV was converted to digital was because of bandwidth and frequency allocation. Digital TV takes a fraction of the spectrum to transmit. Analog video is HUGE and that is why it was converted.

Additionally, the power required to transmit analog is huge in comparison to digital and using digital technology the data can be compressed to a mere fraction of the same data in an analog format. Either can be encrypted for security.
Sorry to burst your bubble but each station has the same bandwidth be it analog or digital true they can broadcast upto 9 channels digitally in that bandwidth.

Sorry to burst your bubble but each station has the same bandwidth be it analog or digital true they can broadcast upto 9 channels digitally in that bandwidth.

So you agree then with exactly what I said ... lol Thanks for the confirmation however.

You'll also agree that due to the digital restructure they were also able to limit the transmit power and license more carriers by re-utilizing the same allocations at closer distances. Additionally, as I recall, I beleive they eliminated about 20% of the channels in the process ... to free up the allocated spectrum.

All said, however, the point was that going digital was NOT done to protect the media being transmitted.

Last edited:
Additionally, the power required to transmit analog is huge in comparison to digital and using digital technology the data can be compressed to a mere fraction of the same data in an analog format.
Even with the ability to stack multiple streams into a single RF channel, the conversion to UHF has eaten up any electricity savings that may have otherwise been had. UHF typically runs at much higher transmit power levels than VHF.

Even with the ability to stack multiple streams into a single RF channel, the conversion to UHF has eaten up any electricity savings that may have otherwise been had. UHF typically runs at much higher transmit power levels than VHF.

Unfortunately that has absolutely nothing to do with what is being said. The purpose of the digital is to provide the additional data in the SAME bandwidth.

Some seem to have an issue they need to find so I'll concede ... you win and have a great day.

Power saving with digital is non-existent, it takes the same amount of power to transmit the signal as it did for analog, except that with digital compression they can stack multiple channels within the 6 MHz allotted bands.

There is NO power savings in the conversion to digital, in fact with many channels moving to UHF, more power is required to transmit the signal the same distance as the old VHF channels. VHF ran in the 200kw power range whereas UHF is peaked at 1000kw for similar coverage - 5X the power required.

Yes, digital transmissions have the benefit of being able to transmit more with the same bandwidth (compression).

But, it's naive to think that copyright protection considerations weren't heavily motivating factors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts