Moving Recorded Shows between Accounts (Not Allowed)

Bailx

Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
I came across this problem for the first time today, and did not expect it. I had just started a new account, merged with my old one at a new address. I had planned on using USB drives to be able to watch the content from my old 722k units... but it seems they don't allow you to do this, if it's under a different account.

I was wondering if there way any un-official way to do this, as tech support couldn't help me.

I already tried formatting a drive in the new hopper, and then under Linux I copied a folder from a USB drive formatted for the 722k to one formatted for the Hopper, but i still got the error that it wasn't allowed.

I guess If I want to watch those old shows I'll just have to keep an old receiver around? Or is there another way?

thanks for any help

Thanks for the heads up. My parents are moving to a new state in a couple of months, and I was planning on setting up a new account for them in mom's name to get the new customer deals. But, she has about a gig of stuff stored on her external HD, and not being able to access those recordings would be a deal breaker.

Just out of curiosity, why do you have two accounts at the same address? Isn't that wasting money?

I've never read all the details of my DISH contract. I doubt if many have. This appears to work differently than say ITunes, where having purchased a recording you can make private use copies. With DISH your DVR fee allows you to view only those recordings made with a device associated to a particular account with a device associated to a particular account. The recording is not yours. TiVo would seem a better way to go if you have concerns about flexibility or long term commitment.

How is TIVO different? I don't know for sure but I'm guessing you can't transfer a file from a TIVO to another TIVO either. You can do what you can with DISH - play the program in real time to another device.

How is TIVO different? I don't know for sure but I'm guessing you can't transfer a file from a TIVO to another TIVO either. You can do what you can with DISH - play the program in real time to another device.
I don't have TIVO. I had assumed it worked like a VCR. Maybe it is restricted as well.

Network connected Tivo's on the same account can transfer and stream content with each other. You can also transfer content to store and watch on a pc and even transfer it back to one of your Tivo's. There is software available that will allow pc stored content to be converted to other formats that can be watched on mobile devices or on someone else's pc (which can be watched on Tivos attached to a different account). And there is software available that allows streaming of pc stored content to your Tivo's. The only content that can't be transferred are cable recordings that are flagged "copy once" (like HBO). Although you can still stream it between two units. Content recorded on a Tivo is your's to keep and not the providers to take away.

Last edited:
This kind of sucks.... I guess maybe I record way too much stuff.... and my DVR fills up so I dump it to external drives.... not like it's CRITICAL stuff here.... but never thought I would just have to abandon it all....

I watch and then DELETE stuff.... like most people.... and get a DVD or BluRay if I really like something....

I just wanted to watch my recorded shows.... this is pretty crazy they don't allow that. (or at least allow it a certain # of times).... like once... would be nice.

I mean... I have a heavily modified TiVo series 1 (sony brand svr-2000) those devices were awesome, and there are ways to bypass HDCP protection... if I REALLY WANTED TO.... but I just wanted to be able to watch all that crap i recorded and then delete it....without a big hassle.

oh well....

No matter how much you cry you still have to follow the rules.

The rules are nonsense and as such should have no place in a civilized society. If you make an analog recording, you can watch it wherever and whenever you want. Therefore, a digital recording should be no different. Anyone who says otherwise has no credibility as a rational human being, as far as I'm concerned.

The whole push to the digital broadcast realm was in large part for the content providers to put tighter controls on copy protection. There are no rational human beings in the MPAA or broadcast arena.

Thanks Mochuf. Your comment seems pretty definitive. Regarding boba’s comment about playing by the rules, DISH is not the only game in town. Do all providers have the same restrictions? And if so, how does TIVO then avoid being sued?

The rules are nonsense and as such should have no place in a civilized society. If you make an analog recording, you can watch it wherever and whenever you want. Therefore, a digital recording should be no different. Anyone who says otherwise has no credibility as a rational human being, as far as I'm concerned.

Poor reasoning. It assumes the industry is just fine with analog being so easily copied. If analog could be restricted without being easily defeated it would be, and it's one reason digital was embraced because it can be. They don't want analog so easily copied but really have no good choice on that, and the industry also knows we are fast moving towards people expecting HD quality so in the not too distant future you will see less analog outputs. Just as people were forced to get a digital TV or get a (somewhat clunky) converter box, to watch OTA, so too will they have to get analog out. Cable companies too are fast moving towards new delivery systems that outdate simply watching by attaching a cable, among them Switched Digital Video and of course Clear QAM. After a period (I think a year) you will pay for use of those needed boxes. So your complete premise is very weak at best, there are very credible human beings that understand why Analog is tolerated to be easily copied, for now.

Thanks Mochuf. Your comment seems pretty definitive. Regarding boba’s comment about playing by the rules, DISH is not the only game in town. Do all providers have the same restrictions? And if so, how does TIVO then avoid being sued?
I don't why Tivo is different, but Dish is actually the best provider when it comes recordings. With Dish an external hard is tied to your account and not to a specific machine like every other provider does. So a replacement dvr from Dish can watch content recorded on the previous dvr. Not so with other providers. If your dvr dies, then all of that content is lost. I also record a lot of stuff to dvd with my dvd recorder. Dish doesn't have any restrictions on what can be recorded, not premium channels (like HBO), not On Demand content, not even PPV (like Wrestlemania) is blocked. And I've recorded it all off of my 722K dvr.

Poor reasoning. It assumes the industry is just fine with analog being so easily copied. If analog could be restricted without being easily defeated it would be, and it's one reason digital was embraced because it can be. They don't want analog so easily copied but really have no good choice on that, and the industry also knows we are fast moving towards people expecting HD quality so in the not too distant future you will see less analog outputs. Just as people were forced to get a digital TV or get a (somewhat clunky) converter box, to watch OTA, so too will they have to get analog out. Cable companies too are fast moving towards new delivery systems that outdate simply watching by attaching a cable, among them Switched Digital Video and of course Clear QAM. After a period (I think a year) you will pay for use of those needed boxes. So your complete premise is very weak at best, there are very credible human beings that understand why Analog is tolerated to be easily copied, for now.

Heck, content owners don't even want you to have a permanent version of their content. This is why they've been pushing crap like Ultraviolet. I remember a quote from George Lucas about video tapes. He said that it really bothered him that people could watch one of his movies multiple times while only paying for it once. He felt that he should get paid every time that movie was watched.

Network connected Tivo's on the same account can transfer and stream content with each other. You can also transfer content to store and watch on a pc and even transfer it back to one of your Tivo's. There is software available that will allow pc stored content to be converted to other formats that can be watched on mobile devices or on someone else's pc (which can be watched on Tivos attached to a different account). And there is software available that allows streaming of pc stored content to your Tivo's. The only content that can't be transferred are cable recordings that are flagged "copy once" (like HBO). Although you can still stream it between two units. Content recorded on a Tivo is your's to keep and not the providers to take away.

Ok, except for being able to transfer to a computer (A good thing) sounds like Dish, where you can transfer between units on your account also.
Keep in mind, you are probably paying for that ability of transfering to a computer. I have not checked in awhile but something like $12.95 a month or $500 lifetime of device after purchasing the unit. Some of that most likely is an industry fee, some because they can fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)