Moving second home install

mike_ayu

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
I've had a second home DishNetwork setup for years, but am now moving my second home. In my primary home, I"ve got 2 dish's (500 & 1000 w/ a DPP44) and get AT250 and HD package on a VIP922 and VIP722. The old second home just had the 500 and a VIP622. When I move the second home, I'd like to upgrade it to do HD as well and add a VIP722 or 922. My question is, do I need the same setup (2 dish's, 500 & 1000) or is there a better solution now? The home is in 96161 and I get the locals for San Francisco. As I recall, I needed the 500 & 1000 because of the location of the satelllites that carried the HD channels.

Mike

Look at ur system info screen by pushing the menu button twice. What says are u pointing at. If it is more that 110 119 129 then u will need a second dish. Same applies if it's more than 61.5 72 77.

My 922 shows 110, 119, 129 and 61.5. I guess that means I need both the 500 and 1000...

if I just need 110, 119 and 129, can I do that with just a 1000 dish? And in that case, do I need the dp44?

if I just need 110, 119 and 129, can I do that with just a 1000 dish? And in that case, do I need the dp44?

Yes, you would have just one 1000.2 dish and a single cable to each receiver. No DPP44 switch necessary. The 61.5 and 129 carry similar HD programming (not exactly the same but similar). The only difference would be if you added international programming in which case you would use the 1000+ dish with the DPP44 switch. In either case, you will only need one dish.

If he has a Dish 1000 (earlier smaller model, not 1000.x, installed when 61.5 was the Voom king) as I have, you do need the DPP44 because it has no switch AFAIK.
-Ken

Ok, finally moved to the new house, got the 1000.2 antenna, all the wiring installed and tested with with a coax signal meter. Now challenged to get a lock on any of the desired satellites. Between the receiver, the booklet that came with the new antenna, and various websites for pointing, for my zipcode 96161 they all are within a handful of degrees of 88 skew, 163 mag azimuth, 44 elev. I checked the vertial true of the mast before trying to point. Did a check switch on the receiver first, it recognizes the dish but gets no lock on any of the satellites, tried moving around but agree with all the posts saying it's almost pointless to try that way. Then attempted using an Accutrac 22 pro meter (albeit this is my first time using one:) to lock on the signal (connected to lnb 1 and 2) and didn't get any signal within 5-10 deg any direction of azimuth or elevation. But pointed a bit further east, maybe to 140 or 145 (forgot to write it down) and picked up a signal, but then ran a check switch and found that I had located sat 91.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong? Or anyone know how to find a local pro installer? I'm happy to pay someone to come do it, but I'm wary of calling dish directly. It's a vacation home setup that they ok'd a very long time ago, and I don't want to go through the hassle I went through with them then (which included having to threaten to go to DirecTv) The only references I can find in the area are DishNetwork itself....

thx.

Tried just the first port as well, but still only get sat 91. Anybody know a good local installer in truckee, CA?

Then you are just a little low and to the left. Peak it up to about 48 and move it to the right.. You are close..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts