Moving Service Address

raymondh

Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
If I move service addresses will my locals automatically start? I am currently in an area that can only receive distant locals (which I have) but would like to move so I can get locals within a different area.

Also can someone tell me what the process is for moving the service area and getting the new locals?

Thanks

You can move or you can "move". Depends if you want to pack or not.

Some people get a new billing address (post office box with the post office as the street address, like Joe Dishcust, 123 Main Street, P.O. Box 999, City , State)

There are problems with this... they will try to sell you a Dishmover (you can tell them you'll move the dish yourself). Also, you have to set your P.O. Box to forward your mail to your real address, so you'll get your bill. Get CCAutopay and this'll be handled. Another thing is when you have an upgrade or service call, the tech can't find your place. Make sure your contact numbers are accurate. (one customer told me his P.O. Box was because of a restraining order so people who shouldn't be near him/her can't find them... even though it was in a different DMA).

The last problem is to make sure you can get the spot beam... don't be too far away from the locals area. The DMA's usually follow county lines.

Simpler way

Move your service address....keep you billing address as is

Just make sure the address you "move" to is legit and that there isnt a Dish account already there.

bcshields said:
The last problem is to make sure you can get the spot beam... don't be too far away from the locals area. The DMA's usually follow county lines.

The DMA's do NOT follow county lines. The Minneapolis DMA can be viewed all the way to the Canadian border (about 175 miles outside the DMA).
I could get Omaha locals if I wanted..Im in that spot beam. 9even though I'm in Northern MN)

I've found a new address that has the locals and also qualifies for distant networks (this is what I want) but it says "additional equipment may be necessary". This is for the Portland, OR DMA. I have checked signal strength on 119 transponder 1 and my signal reads 96. What does the "additional equipment" mean?

Iceberg said:
The DMA's do NOT follow county lines. The Minneapolis DMA can be viewed all the way to the Canadian border (about 175 miles outside the DMA).

I was giving a general guideline. Depends how big the county is. Out west (I live on the east coast, about 15 miles from the atlantic) the counties are generally larger.

good question....
All the Portland stations are on 119 TP 1

The only reason they say "add'l equipment may be necessary" is some locals (smaller ones) are on a wing dish (61.5 or 148)..Usually Univision, 2nd PBS, or Independent

You're safe with the 1 dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)