Moving the recorded movies between receivers.

Suppafreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Hi There,

I have a 622 and a 722 receiver. On a 722 receiver I have several movies that I would like to move to the 622 receiver. Is there a way to temporarily activate the external hard drive function on each receiver, transfer the movies and then deactivate the external hard drive function without incurring fees?

Last edited:
Simple; I've done it in both directions more than once. Not sure what you mean by "temporarily" activating the external HD - once you've paid Dish to activate, its good for all recvrs on your account forever. Don't have to keep the HD connected.

Note that the HD will be reformatted when 1st attached - you can't reuse a drive that you have other data on if you need that data.

1) Pay Dish to activate external HD
2) Hook HD to 722
3) Move movies from 722 to HD
4) Move HD to 622
5) Move movies from HD to 622

The EHD activation is a one time charge. No deactivation involved.

The DIRECT answer to your question is NO, you can't transfer w/o fees. You can record your show to a DVD and watch it anywhere though (no fee except cost of blank DVD).

The DIRECT answer to your question is NO, you can't transfer w/o fees. You can record your show to a DVD and watch it anywhere though (no fee except cost of blank DVD).
Y
Be more specific what your talkin about. You will have treads started on how to copy from a vip722 to a DVD. I know what it takes and it's a lot. You have a few different ways to do it. 1. Computer 2. A DVD recorder. And other ways

That's not what we wants to do. As OP stated he wants to go from 1 receiver to another. Unless these receivers started playing DVD's, your answer was useless. And it is a one-time fee, not fees.

Y
Be more specific what your talkin about. You will have treads started on how to copy from a vip722 to a DVD. I know what it takes and it's a lot. You have a few different ways to do it. 1. Computer 2. A DVD recorder. And other ways
The OP asked a specific question to which finniganps addressed directly/specifically.

Simple; I've done it in both directions more than once. Not sure what you mean by "temporarily" activating the external HD - once you've paid Dish to activate, its good for all recvrs on your account forever. Don't have to keep the HD connected.

Note that the HD will be reformatted when 1st attached - you can't reuse a drive that you have other data on if you need that data.

1) Pay Dish to activate external HD
2) Hook HD to 722
3) Move movies from 722 to HD
4) Move HD to 622
5) Move movies from HD to 622

Let me see if I have this right: I have paid for my EHD privelege, and I have about 25 HD movies on my EHD. I just got a 612 in another room and want to watch those movies in my den. When I plug in the EHD in my 612 for the first time, it will format the drive and erase everything on my EHD??? What's the point of bringing anything over to another receiver unless it's brand new out of the box?

Let me see if I have this right: I have paid for my EHD privelege, and I have about 25 HD movies on my EHD. I just got a 612 in another room and want to watch those movies in my den. When I plug in the EHD in my 612 for the first time, it will format the drive and erase everything on my EHD??? What's the point of bringing anything over to another receiver unless it's brand new out of the box?

If the 612 says it is going to format you have a problem. It should connect OK and let you watch or transfer the programs.

Not entirely true. If you want to use the EHD for the receiver and say for Windows, you can partition it to work that way.

In my case I have a 1TB drive that I have partitioned into two 500GB parts. One I have in NTFS format and the other is for the receiver. Works perfectly.

Sure, if you're an expert at Linux disk partitioning you can make it work for both.

The vast majority of people will use an EHD "dedicated" for DVR use.

One more point, once they are on the EHD you don't have to transfer to the other receiver, just watch directly from the EHD on whichever receiver it's currently plugged to.

No, this is not the case. Guess I wasn't clear in what I was saying to the OP.

When you attach an external drive to a 622 or 722 the very 1st time, it will be reformatted for use by Dish. After that, you can disconnect/reconnect to the 622/722 all you want without it getting reformatted.

I wanted to make sure the OP understood that, if he had PC data on the external drive, it would be gone after using it for DVR.

And, to the "partition" poster; yes, to be absolutely correct, some people (me included) could partition the disk & do many things with it. However, to the first approximation, the vast majority of Dish subscribers can do no such thing.

And, to the "partition" poster; yes, to be absolutely correct, some people (me included) could partition the disk & do many things with it. However, to the first approximation, the vast majority of Dish subscribers can do no such thing.

You are correct about the vast majority. Although I bet a lot of users on this forum could. I just booted a linux build off a CD that was made specifically for partitions. Very easy to use interface and nothing to install. I could probably train a monkey to do it :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts