MOVING TO PORT ANGELES, WA - ANY FTA THERE?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sidekick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Port Angeles, Washington
Hi Everybody. We're going to be moving to Port Angeles Washington. Is there any chance of getting FTA with a satellite there. We're right on the edges of the Olympic National Forest. Would love some feedback! Thanks.

Look up satbeams.com, lyngsat.com, dishpointer Those sites are good ones to look up welcome to the site we are here to help.

FTA is definitely available. The mountains shouldn't be an issue as they are South of town and the arc of satellites is at the peak directly South. Trees might be a problem. Do a thorough site survey before buying and installing any equipment.

Download the DishPointer app to your smartphone and the satellite arc will overlay the camera image. Point the camera to the South, East and West to see the angle and direction of the satellites. On KU you should be able to receive 72-127w and C-band 85-139w. On a computer visit www.dishpointer.com and place the pointer on the dish install location map. A overlay line will be draw on Google map showing exactly where the satellite is located and you can determine if trees or other obstacles might block the satellite signal from that satellite.

If you're going for Ku, I would recommend a 1.2 m dish if you can get one since rain, drizzle, and mist weaken Ku signals, and obviously that region frequently gets all three.

Actually, Port Angeles is in a rain shadow and receives far less rainfall than most of the Northwest. Only 25" per year on average. Have several friends who live in the area and they really enjoy the mild weather.

I have installed several KU systems in the area for 97 and 101w KU FTA channels. A 90cm should be fine for most KU, but if you have the room go for C-band 8-10ft dish. This is where most of the good programming is available.

Actually, Port Angeles is in a rain shadow and receives far less rainfall than most of the Northwest. Only 25" per year on average. Have several friends who live in the area and they really enjoy the mild weather.

I have installed several KU systems in the area for 97 and 101w KU FTA channels. A 90cm should be fine for most KU, but if you have the room go for C-band 8-10ft dish. This is where most of the good programming is available.
Where do you recommend getting a C-band dish now. I'm finally in the Port Angeles Washington area full time. It's been a while since I've fiddled with FTA so I'll probably have to get all new equipment. I used to run a Coolsat receiver. Are those still viable? Thanks

What is considered to be the best FTA receiver now? Years ago it was Coolsat for many people. I still have a Coolsat 5000. Will that still work for FTA? Thanks

The Coolsat will be fine for watching the DVBS channels and would receive most FTA channels on 97W KU. Most other satellites and channels have transitioned to DVBS2 and now the next transition has started to h.265 and ACM. Your other thread has a recommendation for an inexpensive yet capable STB. A new STB from Manhattan has been announced for release shortly and we'll have to see if it is true to the hype. If so, it should be capable of most current formats.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)