Moving WD EHD Back to Vista

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

hemway

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Arizona
I tried doing searches for this but haven't found an answer so hopefully someone will point me in the right direction.

I purchased a WD 500GB My Book Essentials external hard drive and attached it to one of my 622's and had it authorized and formated.

After I tested moving some of my saved recordings back and forth to it from my 622 I tried to connect it to my computer which is running Vista but Vista didn't recognize that I attached the My Book to the USB port. If I run the WD diagnostic utility to check the health of the drive it sees it there as a drive but not with a drive address assigned to it.

What do I need to do to get Vista to recognize the drive?

Dish does not allow you to do this, they encrypt their recordings so even if you get the drive recognized, you can't do anything with the recordings. Also, when you hook the drive back up to your 622 it will probably reformat it with you losing any recordings on it.

The best you can do is move the encrypted files to your computers hard drive but there is no way to view them, DISH spent a lot money to make sure you can't, also the studios demanded a high level of security before they gave the ok for external storage.

Yahoo group’s dishrip and PVRExplorer talk about it but I doubt you will ever be able to view the videos off a vip 622 formatted USB external drive.

Options.
Hauppauge HD PVR Model 1212 and SP1080HD4
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd...uge-hd-pvr-model-1212-answer.html#post1348455

and theirs the vip622 R5000 mod ($500)

I'm not looking to read or try to view any of the Dish recordings, I want to attach the EHD to my Vista PC and reformat it for use there.

When I attach it to the computers USB plug the system no longer recongizes it so I can reformat it for use as external storage on the PC.

I want to know how to get the Vista PC to recognize it when I attach it to the PC so I can reformat it.

hemway,

I think you are asking how to use the drive on your vista computer.

Vista recognizes the drive has a Linux partion and therefore it assumes the user doesn't want to partition and format it, even though vista can't (natively) view the contents.

What needs to be done is the linux partition deleted and a windows partition created and the drive formatted. With the drive installed, click on the start window, then right click on the "my computer", then click on "Manage." In the Computer Management window, click on disk management. There should then appear a disk (probably disk1 or disk2) that is healthy, but partition type is unknown. Right click on the partition and delete the partitions (there are 2). After the partitions are deleted, create a windows partition and then format it. 'DANGER' make sure you delete the partitions for the correct disk.

Miner

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)