“Moving” with OTA module (Hopper 3)

pacmantech

Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
I have my Hopper 3 with the OTA module, set up to pull in my OTA channels with an antenna as well as my locals provided by Dish. For clarity let’s call this “DMA 1.”

If we move to an adjacent county that is in a different DMA (“DMA 2”) but I can still pull in the majority of channels from my current market via antenna, will the Guide pull in the correct OTA info for the DMA 1 locals, showing them alongside the DMA 2 locals that are provided by Dish?

Or, does the Guide only show locals from one DMA?

Only one, the "official" DMA, with the very rare exceptions where reception of two DMAs is allowed.

If you want two EPGs, get a Channel Master DVR+. It'll be better for OTA anyway.

We've got many folks here that do exactly what you're talking about. It seems to me that they are able to get all the info for both DMAs provided you are subscribed to local channels at all. Let's let one of them clarify that...

I've been
I have my Hopper 3 with the OTA module, set up to pull in my OTA channels with an antenna as well as my locals provided by Dish. For clarity let’s call this “DMA 1.”

If we move to an adjacent county that is in a different DMA (“DMA 2”) but I can still pull in the majority of channels from my current market via antenna, will the Guide pull in the correct OTA info for the DMA 1 locals, showing them alongside the DMA 2 locals that are provided by Dish?

Or, does the Guide only show locals from one DMA?

For years I've been doing exactly what you want to do and I get guide info for both. There are, however, a couple of sub channels that doesn't get guide info.

I stand corrected. I could've sworn people posted they only got the one DMA EPG.

Reactions: Bobby
Only one, the "official" DMA, with the very rare exceptions where reception of two DMAs is allowed.

If you want two EPGs, get a Channel Master DVR+. It'll be better for OTA anyway.

I think you’re mistaken my friend. I set one up south of Bloomington, IL last spring, which picked up Peoria, Champaign-Springfield, 1 Terre Haute channel, 1 Quad Cities, etc and all processed in the EPG. Of course. This was WAYYYYYY before the current OTA issues

Reactions: pattykay
I have Joplin locals +WPIX New York via sat +OTA Kansas City locals and they all show up with guide data on my H3

757784AF-86C3-428A-A19E-9AB096AE42CB.png

Another one.... We live in the Dayton OH market and get those locals via Dish (satellite). My antenna points towards Cincinnati's TV towers and those are picked up by our Hopper. The guide shows:

Dayton channels via satellite
Dayton channels via antenna*
Cincinnati channels via antenna**

* I get all Dayton channels OTA even when pointing at Cincinnati
** I only get the UHF channels out of Cincinnati because of my antenna being UHF-only

Another one.... We live in the Dayton OH market and get those locals via Dish (satellite). My antenna points towards Cincinnati's TV towers and those are picked up by our Hopper. The guide shows:

Dayton channels via satellite
Dayton channels via antenna*
Cincinnati channels via antenna**

* I get all Dayton channels OTA even when pointing at Cincinnati
** I only get the UHF channels out of Cincinnati because of my antenna being UHF-only

Can you also get some Columbus stations from your location? When I lived in London, Ohio, I used to be able to get Cincy/Dayton/Columbus and sometimes WISH-8 from Indy. Of course, this was before the digital conversion. When I'm home for Christmas in Ohio I'm going to climb up my dad's antenna mast and hook the rotor back up and see what I can get. He's long since given up because he can't climb the tower anymore.

Reactions: pattykay
I thought you lived in coastal Oregon?!
Wrong coast. I live on the Gulf Coast in Nederland ,Texas a small town in between Beaumont and Port Arthur in what is known locally as the Golden Triangle. Lived in this area since 1973 when my Daddy was transferred down from the St. Louis area by GULF Oil.

Can you also get some Columbus stations from your location?
At my location and smaller outdoor antenna (Radio Shack U75R), it's very, very unlikely. We're actually ~15 miles SW of Dayton. Just checked TV Fool and it indicates we're 75 miles from most of the C'bus towers.

At our old house, our neighbor still had an old-school antenna on a 30' tower and he never mentioned picking up C'bus channels. Maybe he didn't try, maybe his antenna no longer rotated, etc. He did mention getting Cincinnati channels (which is fairly common since many of those towers are located north of Cincinnati).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)