"Moving"

bchandler02

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
A few questions about "Moving" - that I haven't been able to answer via search.

1) Verify that I can get the spotbeam required for my new market (DONE)
2) I understand the process as:
Chat with agent online, state that I need to change my SERVICE address to xxxx, and that my BILLING address should not be changed.
3) Next - I assume reboot/check switch for changes to be made.

Questions on the process:
1) Does it matter if the address I give them is residential, commercial, etc?
2) Does it matter if the address has existing Dish service?
3) Assuming they don't change my billing address, will they ever contact me at that address?
4) Does it matter if I still use OTA and there is a local OTA channel 9, and also a channel 9 for my new locals via SAT? Will it just show two channel 9's with different names and all is well?

Thanks for the help, if there's anything else I should know feel free to add the info!

Spot beams are about 150 miles, if you are farther out than than you cannot get them. I say this as several markets share the same spot. You may think you have one dma but actually have another. The change should take place by itself, nothing you need to do. The address has to be a legal residence that is not currently a Dish subscriber. Dish may try to contact you. OTA is not an issue, you may lose guide listing, the reboot may bring it back or you may have to wait for the nightly download, they will be fine due to the subchannel numbering which are different than Dish supplied channels.

Thanks Gary for the info. Debating whether or not I want to do a hopper upgrade now and get rid of OTA since the locals aggravate me so much here, or do the move and upgrade later. I know I have to move back, and then move away again to do equip swaps.

From what I have seen on the maps (SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - Dish Network ALL), I can get the DFW beam in OKC. (OKC is right in the middle of the state where it says 240 on the map). Is there more to it than this?

Let me guess Gary England and the other weather nuts (can't think of another nice word to call them) annoy you with the constant pre-emptions like the Tulsa guys. Dallas should be fine from OKC. You do need an address that doesn't currently have Dish service. You may be contacted, I would do the upgrade first, and then also set up paperless billing.

A few questions about "Moving" - that I haven't been able to answer via search.

1) Verify that I can get the spotbeam required for my new market (DONE)
2) I understand the process as:
Chat with agent online, state that I need to change my SERVICE address to xxxx, and that my BILLING address should not be changed.
3) Next - I assume reboot/check switch for changes to be made.

Questions on the process:
1) Does it matter if the address I give them is residential, commercial, etc?
2) Does it matter if the address has existing Dish service?
3) Assuming they don't change my billing address, will they ever contact me at that address?
4) Does it matter if I still use OTA and there is a local OTA channel 9, and also a channel 9 for my new locals via SAT? Will it just show two channel 9's with different names and all is well?

Thanks for the help, if there's anything else I should know feel free to add the info!
Dallas dosen't have a broadcaster on channel 9. Channel 9 is used for broadcasting CH52 so it won't have any effect.

They wanted to check a new installation and i told them the dish was not at the service address, that i was a mover and he said thats fine thanks for not wasting his time and said thank you!!!

They wanted to check a new installation and i told them the dish was not at the service address, that i was a mover and he said thats fine thanks for not wasting his time and said thank you!!!
So, did he make the address switch?

I did the same thing as my locals aren't in HD, but the next market over (Dallas) of course has their locals in HD. Funny thing is if our house was in the county west of where we are at in the same city, we'd have Dallas locals by default.

I did mine through the online chat. I had no problem with it. Just remember if you ever had to have a tech come out to change your service address back first.

YES!!! So freaking tired of them interrupting programming for 2 hours for 1 storm that is nearly in Kansas or Texas. I'm glad I am not the only one to be fed up with their crap. The straw that broke the camel's back last night was them interrupting programming from ~8P-10P for the tornado in Medford, showing it over and over and over... and over, and then this morning posting that they refused to re-air the missed programming. I'm also tired of every time they put up the map for a thunderstorm watch (again, far away) - it kills their HD broadcast.

Will dish just call me via phone if they try to contact me, or do they mail something? I already have autopay/paperless billing setup.

Let me guess Gary England and the other weather nuts (can't think of another nice word to call them) annoy you with the constant pre-emptions like the Tulsa guys. Dallas should be fine from OKC. You do need an address that doesn't currently have Dish service. You may be contacted, I would do the upgrade first, and then also set up paperless billing.

One thing people do not think about is, the "move" could cause a change in the RSN. So if you are a Thunder fan, you are now probably a new Mavericks fan. Depending on your location, you may have a new MLB team as well.

I have a second account for my mom, who is in the Ada/Sherman area. I have that account setup for our lake house so she can get Tulsa locals, as up until the digital transition Ada only had 2 locals. Anyway I occasionally get junk mail from Dish for that account at the lake even though it is on paperless too. It is rare though.

If you are in a "no sales tax" state and move your service to a state that has sales tax (but keeping your billing address in the "no-tax" state), will you be charged sales taxes? Does the service address or the billing address determine how the sales taxes are charged?

If you are in a "no sales tax" state and move your service to a state that has sales tax (but keeping your billing address in the "no-tax" state), will you be charged sales taxes? Does the service address or the billing address determine how the sales taxes are charged?

I believe it is based off of the billing address.

yes it will show both

When I "moved" (to get locals where I use to live) Dish put the CW subchannel as 11-0 (Duluth, MN). Here in Minneapolis we have a 11-1 & 11-2 so the guide looked as such
11-0 KDLHD (the CW from Duluth, MN)
11-1 KARE (the NBC affiliate in Minneapolis)
11-2 KARE-DT2 (subchannel)