Moving

panache70

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
Western Hemisphere
I was just wondering if anyone could assist me regarding sales taxes on satellite tv in NY state.
I am in NH where there is no sales tax at all.
I pick up the Vermont locals which only consist of the big 4 + PBS in HD (No CW or MY Network available).
I noticed that within the same spotbeam, I could pick up locals from Schenectady New York.
The locals include the big 4 + PBS, CW, and MY NETWORK all in HD.
I checked the transponder and the signal strength is very good and clearly indicates "spotbeam".
Would anybody know if there would be any sales tax added on my bill if I "moved" to Schenectady, NY?
I tried checking on google, and all I could find were some posts relating to NY wanting to add 5% tax to satellite tv, but it looks like they never went through with it.
Would there be any local (county / city) taxes added to my bill?

Thanks

Would anybody know if there would be any sales tax added on my bill if I "moved" to Schenectady, NY?
Sales tax is typically based on where the goods are delivered so I would assume that you would pay any taxes that other New York customers are subject to.

If I, as an Oregon resident (where there is no sales tax), buy something on Amazon and have it shipped to Spokane, Washington, I am automatically charged Washington sales tax on the purchase.

It seems a pretty safe bet that you would get dinged at least for the sales tax and later for the satellite tax when that eventually happens.

I was answering the question over whether state taxes are charged by NY, which by the link I provided, it doesn't look like they do.

I can attest that when I moved my service address out of state, I was subject to that state's tax rate instead of my own, if that was the original question.

That's pittance compared to the other states in that list. 5% or higher adds up. I get about $5 added to a $76 bill. Since the guy in VT is paying 6% now, his bill would drop moving to NY.

Yea it adds up.I was contemplating (moving) to Tn for locals during this Raycom dispute.I thought 7% sales tax was bad,with the local plus state tax it's 9.25%!On a $100+ bill that adds up quick.So no move for moi.

But the real question... How much tax would ONE be willing to pay to move to and get the Pittsburgh locals? :popcorn

That's pittance compared to the other states in that list. 5% or higher adds up. I get about $5 added to a $76 bill. Since the guy in VT is paying 6% now, his bill would drop moving to NY.
Actually, my service address is NH (0% tax). In NH, the locals come from VT.
So what I am seeing (based on the post from the person in Rochester NY), is that I would gain a CW and MY NET local in HD but would now pay approx 3% tax on my entire bill. I suppose it is worth it, when you compare with the cost of superstations, which aren't even in HD.
Funny that the list provided earlier shows NY state at 0% tax, but the person from Rochester NY is saying he pays 3%.
Perhaps the sales tax in NY is only on rented equipment and such, but not on the actual programming? Could someone confirm?
Otherwise, could it be that there is no state tax, but county tax is applied? Just trying to figure out how it works for NY before I "move".
Thanks

Actually, my service address is NH (0% tax). In NH, the locals come from VT.
So what I am seeing (based on the post from the person in Rochester NY), is that I would gain a CW and MY NET local in HD but would now pay approx 3% tax on my entire bill. I suppose it is worth it, when you compare with the cost of superstations, which aren't even in HD.
Funny that the list provided earlier shows NY state at 0% tax, but the person from Rochester NY is saying he pays 3%.
Perhaps the sales tax in NY is only on rented equipment and such, but not on the actual programming? Could someone confirm?
Otherwise, could it be that there is no state tax, but county tax is applied? Just trying to figure out how it works for NY before I "move".
Thanks
Yeah, looks like dwarren could answer that for you, looking at his bill.

It's probably like my bill, where there is just one line, "State/local tax"...from dwarren's post I'd probably count on roughly 3% of your bill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)