Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Noland

SatelliteGuys Regular
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Owasso, OK
Anyone else tried the latest version? I just installed it and it is very cool. I've never looked at alternat browsers much, but the reports of the security problem in the news sparked my interest in trying out Mozilla. The browser tabs are very cool. I can be on 3 or 4 sites without having 3 or 4 tasks on the task bar. The built in popup blocker is cool also.

I just downloaded it yesterday an I am really impressed. The last time I used a browser before other than IE, the sites allways looked odd and buttons where never right. Well I don't have that problem wtih FireFox.

Ditto on the tabs, surprised no one ever implemented that before. It also really nice that since sites had found a way around my google pop up blocker. Not anymore.

I had also read that CERT has declared that IE is so far gone in poor coding, that it now impossible to fix it with patches. I've had enough of this spyware/adware/hijacking nonsense.

hehe.

I got an update notice from .9 to .9.1 and I did do the update. I still have the little stop sign at the bottom telling me I need to install an update, and it keeps telling me to install .9.1 even though it's installed. I've even tried to uninstall both and reinstall just .9.1 to no avail.

I ahve never seen such an update. Interesting.

Look in the lower right hand part of the browser. Its in the same spot as "Internet" is on an IE browser.

Just installed it on my Dad's computer, and will be installing it on mine. Seems to be a good solid browser.

But once you install it you will find that MANy Java based apps run into errors.

Even if you go back to using IE, you get the errors.

THings like Online banking and stock trading apps may break.

I've been using Firefox and before that Firebird and this was almost entirely due to IE becoming progressively more flaky and prone to crash as does Explorer itself too often. I give Firefox a big thumbs up for its continuing improvements.

Thanks for the tip on the optimized builds. I was using 0.9.1 before, but I've noticed a nice speedup with the P4-optimized version.

I still have to use IE for my banking, but Firefox works very well for forums and most other sites. I just love how I can click links with the scroll wheel and they'll open in tabs.

Neutron said:
Look in the lower right hand part of the browser. Its in the same spot as "Internet" is on an IE browser.

I have no idea what you are referring to. Where is "Internet" referred to in IE I must be blind.

Ken F said:
Thanks for the tip on the optimized builds. I was using 0.9.1 before, but I've noticed a nice speedup with the P4-optimized version.

I still have to use IE for my banking, but Firefox works very well for forums and most other sites. I just love how I can click links with the scroll wheel and they'll open in tabs.

You might want to check out the extensions available. One is User Agent Switcher. That might allow you to use Firefox for banking. It depends on the problem you are encountering.

My browser does not have a clock. My desktop does. Is that what you mean? If so then something must be wrong. I do not have the word "Internet" above that.

Under the 'View' menu in IE make sure 'Status Bar' is checked. On the status bar to the far right it should show you which 'zone' you are in. Most of the time it will say 'Internet', unless of course you are browsing an Intranet. Our Intranet isn't setup correctly and mines says 'Unknown Zone' when browsing my companies intranet.

If you don't browse questionable sites and say no the Installation pop-ups, there's no need to worry about IE. Not to mention that you can turn off the installation pop-ups in the settings of IE. As for adware, most of it is just tracking cookies and firefox will be just as vulnerable to it as IE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)