mp4 file would not play on hopper

Suppafreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Hello,

I was wondering what file formats can be played on hopper?

The hopper sees a media server from my computer and it sees the video files. However when I click on a file to play it would not play it. I created the file in Adobe Premiere CC and used H.264 Format and NTSV DV preset.

I tried the file on Roku media player and it also would not play, so I am thinking it is a wrong .mp4 format.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

The Hopper is inconsistent as to what files it will play through its Home Media interface. Generally, if a file is (ahem) 'downloaded' via the web, it will work ok.

But when I create the MP4s myself, results are varied - when transcoding from a DVD via Handbrake, a direct transcode from the DVD folder (VIDEO_TS) results in an unplayable MP4, but if I strip out the movie file VOBs and combine into one giant VOB and THEN create the MP4 from that (also via Handbrake), it works fine. The RipBot engine (as opposed to Handbrake) yields very playable MP4s in every instance but takes much much longer to encode. (By the way, we should respect all rights holders of various media, no infringement recommended, yadda yadda.)

So, I guess its kind of a crapshoot. My PS3 plays it all without any hiccups, but the Hopper is a little picky. It does seem like the Hopper playback has been more stable since the December software update (in terms of playing files) but has more trouble finding my Home Media file server ~ based on my experience, anyways.

But, those files downloaded used software to encode it to the end format too. Granted, those folks likely have quite a bit of experience and have had to fine-tune and tweak the settings they use...

This whole thing has confused me -- I was under the impression that the media server (Plex, XBMC, etc) did all of the work and the end device (Hopper, Roku, XBox, etc) was receiving a readable file that it only has to display and not process. Clearly, that's not true if I can play a file on the PC but it doesn't work on those devices. I will say, with the Hopper, it seems as though if it shows up in the listing with a thumbnail, it will play. The ones I've seen not play always seem to have a "?" icon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts