MPAA Pushes Early HD VOD Releases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jayn j is on the right track with hdcp. what i could understand form researcing hdcp is that tvs with hdcp technology will not output on their analog outputs when a source is protected such as the vods we are discussing.

8bitbytes, that hdfury device, seems like it would answer the question for bypassing the hdcp. seems pretty cool.

They would never give up that revenue stream. This is simply a new home distribution model for (near) first run movies. These movies would likely play a week or two after hitting the theaters, and months before home sales and PPV.

Each generation is much more restrictive. There isn't much further to go now, other than not owning the media.

To me this seems like a nice alternative to the theater for some movies since it usually costs our family over $50 now days to go to a show (I guess we should really skip the snacks, but that is part of the fun).

I don't disagree with the costs, but as I understand it the theater gets precious little of that ticket revenue and they have to make their money someplace.

John Kotches commented "I don't disagree with the costs..."

Well, I do. The idea of paying $12 to $20 to watch any movie ever made on a small screen TV offends me. Many first run movies are available at the theatre for $6 to $8. And you don't have to watch them on the typical 30, 40 or 50 inch TV screen--you get a 25, 30 foot or even bigger screen with great surround sound and theatre style ambience.

It is true that the theatres rip you off on the price of popcorn and a coke (another $7) but you can always take a long drink of water before you go.

The movie studios are trying to create another revenue stream coming from those people who want the first run experience without the trouble of getting out of their houses. And, of course, they understand that many of these same people will buy the Blu-ray of the same movie the moment it comes out.

As a person who uses the analog component inputs on my TV, it offends me that the studios would want to exclude me on the grounds that I might want to DVR their product for re-watching, and thus avoid buying the DVD or Blu-ray product. The Sony Fair Use decision of the Supreme Court is directly on point here, and I hope the MPAA and its minions go straight to hades.

Best regards,
Fitzie

If this comes to pass I will NEVER buy another movie in any form for the rest of my life.

And if you think I am kidding ask Directv the lengths I will go to avoid something I do not like. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)