Mpeg-4/mpeg-2

joshschuler

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
alright, not for sure. What's the MPEG-2/MPEG-4 mean. From what I've heard, MPEG-4 is basically more compressed than MPEG-2, allowing more content sent from one satellite. Am I right there, or way off.

joshschuler said:
alright, not for sure. What's the MPEG-2/MPEG-4 mean. From what I've heard, MPEG-4 is basically more compressed than MPEG-2, allowing more content sent from one satellite. Am I right there, or way off.
MPEG4 is a newer compression method and an improvement of MPEG2 spec. It's downward compatable meaning MPEG4 also decodes MPEG2 and MPEG1. It should produce the same quality as MPEG2 with half the file size. I may also produce better results (less pixelation) during high motion scenes.
The cheapest way to uncompress MPEG video is with a hardware chip which is why new receivers will be coming.

Is MPEG-4 the best compression available or is there another one above MPEG-4 that compresses even better? I thought MPEG-4 didnt compress that much to allow twice as many channels on the same bandwidth. Aren't the recievers also going to implement 8PSK or better?

Careful with your terminology. 8PSK is a modulation scheme and is not related to the encoding system used for the video. 8PSK translates digital data (of any kind) into a radio wave. AFAIK all current DISH receivers use 8PSK.

8PSK -> 8 level phase shift key modulation
8VSB -> 8 level vestigial side band modulation

In TV applications both are used to transport MPEG2 streams (and later MPEG4 streams). 8PSK is used for satellite transmissions and 8VSB for terrestrial transmissions (in the US).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)