MPEG2 to MPEG4 Free upgrade really isn't

blfuller

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2004
Washington State
I called and scheduled my upgrade for a VIP211. I own an 811 and they told me that there would be no fee involved. The only catch is that it will be a lease with no monthly fee, if I discontinue service I would need to return the 211. I can keep my 811, but I can give it to them and get a $10 credit, which isn't worth it. The installer came and swapped out the receiver and all was good:)

Fast forward 2 weeks later. I just got a bill from dish for my $7 a month lease fee. I called them up and they said because I pay by the year that the monthly lease fee is not waived. Good thing I kept my 811, I told them to come get their 211 receiver. I don't subscribe to any HD programming so from what I understand my 811 will still work.

Anyone else get duped by these jokers into signing for MPEG2 to MPEG4 and got a bill for a monthly fee when they said there would not be one?:mad:

What you were probably charged was the $7 "HD Enabling fee" since you don't subscribe to HD programming. Dish doesn't want to give people HD boxes when they aren't subscribing to HD, so they charge the $7 fee as a way to keep those with SD only programming on SD receivers.