MPEG4 -charlie & the HD lite factory can keep them

4DTV is C-band satellite

5 or 6 TRUE HD channels, untouched, original bitrates, first gen, etc.

HBO/Showtime/StarZ/Discovery and a few others, I will miss the HDNet's, but not if they are in HD-Lite which will soon be the case

-Gary

Gary will Cuban even stand for that? It sucks I don't and can't afford a giant Dish like the rest of you for C-Band.

Sarang said:
Gary will Cuban even stand for that? It sucks I don't and can't afford a giant Dish like the rest of you for C-Band.

Then we would just have yet another "contract dispute" (see: Lifetime; OLN), removal of the two HDNet channels...followed by Dish mirroring DiscoveryHD on both channels and happily announcing them as two ground-breaking "free previews"...even though everyone already had it.

As much as I agree with you guys about not liking HD Lite, there will be no excuses for Dish to not give Full Resolution to all HD channels in MPEG-4. Personally, I am going to wait until I see what MPEG-4 brings to the table. If MPEG-4 happens to be HD Lite as well (which I doubt) then I will jump ship but as of now I am going to ride the ship until MPEG-4 is on the picture.

Sarang said:

Probably as long as he's getting paid. I have comcast hdtv and I have dish just for international channels. I was excited about universal/espn2/and the voom channels but if the quality is hd-lite which everyone says is awful then I'm not going to subscribe. In the end it doesn't really matter because we may be 500 people total that even care.

Unfortunately if most everyone goes and down rez's the HD channels there will not be much of a decision to make if you want HD other than OTA and BUD which has a limited selection compared to satellite. Even cable right now does not offer nearly as many HD channels in most areas as satellite is going to within the next year.

6 or 7 bud HD channels untouched are better than all the HD-Lite in the world added up, I will for sure miss my HDNet's, which I would expect to go HD-Lite ASAP on Dish
Cuban is full of sh*t, I used to love the guy, until he personally trashed me on the AVS for criticizing some movies' picture quality on HDNet

he deposit's Directv's check's and will Dish's also

-Gary

kenny911 said:
Probably as long as he's getting paid. I have comcast hdtv and I have dish just for international channels. I was excited about universal/espn2/and the voom channels but if the quality is hd-lite which everyone says is awful then I'm not going to subscribe. In the end it doesn't really matter because we may be 500 people total that even care.

Can I get HD by itself on Comcast?

Sarang said:

This is what I do with Comcast:

Limited Basic $12 ... gets local HD channels
Digital Plus $15 ... gets non-premium HD channels and first HD box

I don't take Expanded Basic.

I also sub to HBO for about $14, Starz for $10 and Cinemax for $5.

Bottom line here is until a provider steps up and provides full rez for the HD ch's that they provide...then there aren't going to be many options at all for us. I'm disappointed about the downrez but what am I going to do? Go back to Directv HD? No thanks. I still think that Dish looks better than Directv's HD not to mention the HD pack is a joke that Directv provides. If you have a provider in your area that passes their HD at full rez....then you have an option. I'm in NY and I don't have anything like that. The closest thing I have is OTA....and that isn't great all the time because you have ch's here like NBC that want to have 3 sub ch's. Either way we the consumer will not see full rez.....and until you have a provider that you could jump to....we either have to live with the HD-Lite or just live with OTA HD. That's the choice for me right now. I'm hoping Verizon Fios comes in here in NY at full rez....then I'll have a choice.

Last edited:
Sarang said:
**YES!

When VOOM went dark (dumped *E for Voom), I subscribed to Comcast's "dump the dish offer", I got a deal for HBO/SHOWTIME and their HD stations,INHD,INHD2,Discovery,TNT,ESPN, plus the 3 local ABCCBSNBC all in HD.

I had to produce a receipt that we had sat service, the tech also wanted a VOOM box, I told him we leased and had to return, (two voom boxes are still stored in the basement). All of Comcast hd stations are decent, but we thought VOOM had better HD resolution.

We put our plans for *E on hold waiting for the best HD selection, looks like they now have Comcast's selection beat! We will wait and see what Feburary offers!

(**BTW: I put a splitter before the Comcast HD box and ran a seperate line to our SONY 34" HBR 75ohm connector, I performed a "find stations" on the SONY built in HDTV tuner, it found approximately 352 digital signals, most of which do not have any programming. If your TV has a built in tuner try this, you will be able to get your locals in HD and the music stations-even if you have the 28 channel basic cable service!!)
~​

Sarang said:

I tried a few weeks ago, no you can not. you must subscribe to a digital pagackage and then add the HD package for $5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts