MPEG4 multiswitch question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dturturro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 24, 2004
OK, I know the new 6 x 8 multiswitch is compatible with the Ka/Ku dish. BUT, if you need more than 8 outputs can you split the 4 outputs from the dish in order to feed the new 6 x 8 PLUS the old 5 x 8?

little dish guy said:
Using externally powered switches for the final 2 is preferred.
The problem is no powered multiswitches are available.

charper1,

Is there any reason you can't use splitters with the new multiswitches?

Splitters are for cable and OTA type stuff not satellite (dish to receiver). If you want to use the crappy RF TV out to two or more TVs (all viewing the same channel) then a splitter is OK; but who wants to do that? Splitters have no way of switching voltages required by dishes.

But this is not dish to receiver, it's dish to multiswitch. It works with E* legacy switches run in parrellel, does D* have an equivalent process?

charper1 said:
Splitters are for cable and OTA type stuff not satellite (dish to receiver).
High frequency splitters can be used to split the signals from the satellite dishes to up to 4 multiswitches. The key is that each splitter feed the same port on the multiswitch and that DC blocks be used on all but on multiswitch.

I thought you had some new knowledge that splitter couldn't be used with the new 6x8 Zinwells.

herdfan said:
High frequency splitters can be used to split the signals from the satellite dishes to up to 4 multiswitches. The key is that each splitter feed the same port on the multiswitch and that DC blocks be used on all but on multiswitch.

I thought you had some new knowledge that splitter couldn't be used with the new 6x8 Zinwells.
Those flex ports on 6X8 are 18v22hz only.
Most hi-frequency splitter don't pass 22hz required for 110/119. Hi-frequency splitter work great using just a 101 13v/18v dividing them into 2 multi-switches.

Not to be a curmudgeon, but I wish that D* had done something like the DPP+ 44 sw that E* has. I think it's time for a engineering upgrade for the outside stuff. The whole 2 outputs through one line is a excellent concept. I hope we'll see some rumors about stuff like this for D* in the future.

herdfan said:
Yes they do. I am currently feeding 2 Terk BMS-58's splitters. I get my locals on 119 plus HD on 110/119 with no problems.

See this: http://www.solidsignal.com/manuals/www-solidsignal-com_5x16-PhaseIII.pdf

OK, taking this diagram and replacing the dish with the new MPEG4 one could you replace one of the 5x8's with the new 6x8, connect the OTA only to the old 5x8 and use the 5x8 outputs for the old MPEG2 boxes while using the 6x8 to drive new MPEG4 boxes?

It seems like it would work but I guess we won't know until someone tries it. :shocked

herdfan said:

Not to be the one to argue semantics, but if I honestly thought they were really talking about high frequency splitters as opposed to conventional splitters, I would have thought the phrase HIGH FREQUENCY would have been somewhere in the question; seeing as how different the two items are. but that's just me.

ie: gun vs water gun (see my point)

charper1 said:
Not to be the one to argue semantics, but if I honestly thought they were really talking about high frequency splitters as opposed to conventional splitters, I would have thought the phrase HIGH FREQUENCY would have been somewhere in the question; seeing as how different the two items are. but that's just me.

ie: gun vs water gun (see my point)

So what splitters were you talking about in post 2: no, you can't use any splitters ? :rolleyes: ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts