multi fiber optic input

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

danristheman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
85w
Is there a multi fiber optic input. If you have one input on your receiver I would like to have more than one is their a way? I want to run at least 3 fiber optic cables in to my receiver what do I need to get?

Is there a multi fiber optic input. If you have one input on your receiver I would like to have more than one is their a way? I want to run at least 3 fiber optic cables in to my receiver what do I need to get?
Yes, they exist. Here is an example of one with remote control.

Amazon product ASIN B074W8DG3P
Not recommending this model just confirming that they exist. Search for the terms 'Toslink switch' or 'spdif switch' and check the specs for the model that suits your needs. :)

I have a 4-into-1 TosLink and SPDIF switcher from Inday (B&H Photo link)
(edit: FTA4PA has a more affordable option. The Inday is over $100.)

If you need three S/PDIF inputs, you're trying to back a double trailer into digital audio.

If you're bound and determined to do things the hard way, an older AVR that has more inputs is probably the best solution to preserve usability.

The next least complicated solution would be to use a fancy programmable remote system (URC, Harmony) with a switch.

Know that the capabilities of S/PDIF doesn't extend much beyond 5.1 audio (7.1 requires compression).

Reactions: Foxbat
I want to have one cable from my ps3, one from cd player, and one from my tv all going into my receiver.

I use the cd player on the ps3, I just had a 25 disc cd player optimus brand and a 250 disc one to. Thank you guys for the help. I will have to get that one from amazon.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Are they getting away from fiber optic when it comes to audio?
Yes. As I said previously, S/PDIF isn't capable of some of the new data rates with >5.1 sound so they've been wishing it would go away for a while now. Coax (RCA) is capable of perhaps double the data rate of S/PDIF but HDMI is where everything in home theater has been headed (on the source end) for the last five years or so. It wasn't until a couple of months ago that the Xbox One supported Dolby Digital (AC3) over S/PDIF while the HDMI connection has supported Dolby ATMOS for a couple of years (DTS:X support was recently added).

I think the last of the carousel CD units debuted in 2005 and you may still be able to buy them New Old Stock.

I got my cd players for free I just don't like throwing away things that can still being used. I will get a upgraded receiver soon but one day. I just don't like seeing good tech going to waste that's all.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Just because something is old and was relatively expensive doesn't make it good tech. The electronics built into a $300 AVR are perhaps better than even the audiophile equipment of 15 years ago and they're capable of handling the latest audio and video schemes and resolutions without the rat's nest of connecting cables. The only downside to the newest equipment is that they have forsaken older devices by reducing/removing phono inputs (for turntable cartridges) and S-VHS inputs.

Romance shouldn't apply to A/V gear.

Yes, almost everything is now HDMI, even for audio. There are some higher end receivers that will include coax inputs for audio, as that is superior to toslink but almost all the newer stuff is getting rid of the legacy inputs, not only for audio but also for video and just doing HDMI.

The only downside to the newest equipment is that they have forsaken older devices by reducing/removing phono inputs (for turntable cartridges) and S-VHS inputs.
Still kicking myself for not getting the Yamaha AC-3 to Digital Dolby converter. My old Marantz AVR had an RF input to take my LaserDiscs with that surround encoding. Of course, most of those movies on LD are available via streaming, but some I haven't been able to find.

My old Marantz AVR had an RF input to take my LaserDiscs with that surround encoding.
I can safely say I've never seen an AC-3 encoded LASERdisc. I got out of LASERDiscs shortly before AC-3 discs showed up in 1995. Of course I didn't have a suitable sound system (I didn't have a center channel speaker) until well after LASERdisc was done (1999). All tolled, it looks like there were less than 500 different US AC-3 LASERdisc titles.

My disc collection is mostly music stuff and that's pretty much all two-channel. My LD player, a Pioneer CLD-3080 predated AC-3 by five years.

A comprehensive review, but he didn't get far enough into why you would want to use the format. Most movies eventually get transferred to the format of the day so movies aren't typically a draw. TV shows on tape or disc weren't much of a thing until DVD. I think music is probably the thing.

I'm just glad someone isn't wasting time with RCA's CED disc format that was pushing hard to be a competitor to LD.

I played with a CED at the Stereo store I used to hang out in, they had it hooked up to their Kloss Front Projection set. The disk was kept away from curious fingers with a shutter (imagine a 12" 3.5" floppy or better yet, a Zip disk). The LaserDisc picture stayed intact longer since there was no wear. Laser Rot, on the other hand…

My LaserDisc player is the Pioneer DVL-909 which plays both sides (after a small pause), CDs, and DVDs. How much do I use it? The last movie I watched on it was "Fiddler on the Roof". I see Fiddler is available on Prime Video, so that's one less reason to fire up the old hardware.
I think music is probably the thing.
Yep, I've got Duran Duran, Thomas Dolby, Laura Brannigan; musicals like "Pippin", musical comedies like "Guys and Dolls" & "Xanadu". Plus, I have the box sets of all the Star Trek Movies, the Original Extended Edition of Star Wars, the Animated Star Trek series, a few select "Babylon 5" episodes (along the the original Star Trek and ST: TNG).

What was this thread about again? :rolleyes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)