Multi-Provider MDU Installation

outerreach

Original poster
May 11, 2008
Hello everyone.

I have been installing for 9 years for both StarChoice, Bell Express Vu, Xplornet, Netkaster, Directv and FTA. For the last few years my company has been doing more and more commercial work every year.

However I have run into a job that has stumped me. Here's the details about the job.

(3) brand new apartment buildings with 600+ suites (20-40 per floor) in each apartment building. The buildings are 40 to 50+ floors high. They start construction on them this Fall - Winter.

The apartment building owner/builder wants each suite to have access to StarChoice, Bell Express Vu and Shaw cable service with HD capabilities for all (and Shaw Cable internet) . Mainly the owner wants capability to access any service including HD on any of the 3 outlets in the suites, also wants ability to hook up atleast 1 DVR receiver per suite.

-or-

The owner's 2nd option is entire suite has only 1 service. Either StarChoice, Bell or Shaw on all 3 outlets. Still wants HD capability, No DVR capability and Shaw internet is undecided right now.

The problem I am having is, the owner only wants to run 2 wires max to each suite from a sub-station on each floor which will run 2 - RG12's from there to main electrical room in basement for each floor.

Each sub-station has to have Starchoice (with HD), Bell (with HD) and Shaw Cable (With HD, but still unsure about their frequencies on the coax lines) feeds with only 2 - RG12's coming from the basement.

I can hookup the entire building easily for Starchoice, Bell and cable only if they are not HD capable and maybe no internet either depending on Shaw Cable internet frequency on the line.

I have researched Stacker/Destackers and Single Wire Multiswitches(SWM). Still unsure if SWM's will work with StarChoice, Bell and Cable.

If anybody has any ideas on how this can be done the way the owner wants it done or what services must be sacrificed in order to make this work, please let me know

Thanks for all your help. :bow
Conrad

Too Tough?!?

By the amount of views but lack of comments I assume this is going to be extremly difficult to do.

Any and all comments/ideas are welcome regardless if you have done this type of commercial work or not.

Have you looked at any of the fiber solutions? Pace International has been doing MDU for a long time and they might be able to help you out integrating all the disparate systems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts