Multi-Room Media Center Advice

psychicmind

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Hi All,

I'm in the early stages of planning a multi-room media center / theater room. I'm hoping there are pub members who might help.

I'm looking a designing at a 6 zonal system.
* Zone 1, Multimedia-Theater Room (Rack System Components)
* Zone 2, Master Bedroom (Audio & Video)
* Zone 3, Living Room (Audio & Video)
* Zone 4, Office (Audio w/ Optional Video)
* Zone 5, Kitchen (Audio w/ Optional Video)
* Zone 6, Back Yard (Audio w/ Optional Video)

Budget is about $25,000 (but I will probably be able to increase if needed). At least 3 zones need video, but all 6 would be better. The theater room will need to be renovated and furnished.

I could really use some help with cost estimates and recommended components and anything else that comes to mind.

I'll need to have things professional installed, but I would like to learn how to do it myself too.

Web links would also be very very helpful. I'm looking for basics to advance information.

Thanks All!

Dang, that's impressive.

I think the best place to ask that would be in the HT forums... more likely to get responses from people who have set stuff up like that.

Me... I have my ONE Zone HT Room, and am happy enough that I have that :)

BUT I do know that there are fairly inexpensive multi-room sound systems out there -- if the wiring is done. For example, my house is wired for four-room sound; but I spent my $$ on the HT room, and have put that off for awhile.

Thanks,

Any advice, favorite websites, or book recommendations?

Right now I'm focused on the costs to wire the house. Wiring is very cheap here at http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp, but unsure of the cost for the electrician. I'm sure I'll get varying estimates. Anyone with experienced here?

I'd also like to hear what people have paid for contractors and supplies for their theater rooms. I'm talking wood, lighting, etc.

Hardware is easy to budget, professional installers I'm less sure of.

I would imagine wiring and construction is going to eat $10,000 - $15,000

Thanks

WOW, this thread isn't too active...

Anyway, I got a few answers.

Home wiring is Number One to pull this off. There are three options:

1) Buy a house with a cat5e network installed. Only in new construction homes.
2) Buy a house needing renovating and install cat5e wiring for $1 per square inch.
3) Buy a finished house and install cat5e wiring for $2 per square inch.

All options can be done, but renovating a home seems best for me.

The most expensive option would cost between $2,000 and $4,000 just for installing a cat5e network.

With the wiring requirements solved, it's now onto equipment...

Control4 will be at the heart of the system. Control4 Home Automation and Home Control Full home automation including home theater, video/audio distribution, windows, climate, lighting, and more.

Control4 is great because it can work with almost any budget. As long as there is a cat5e network installed, one can start with a $4000 C4 equipment installation for one entertainment system and lighting control, but later one can expand to include windows, heating, security, etc.

These upgrades also add value to the house, a good excuse when explaining the prices to the wife.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)