Multiple Local Markets?

mjstraw

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 29, 2004
One of the things keeping us from cutting the cable and switching to DishNetwork is the "lack" of local channels. Yes, we can get one local for each major network, but with cable we get 2 for each along with a bunch of independents.

I think I've discovered why - we live right at the border between two "tv market" areas.

Is there any chance that I can get (ie pay for) two different sets of local channels?

Mark

mjstraw said:
One of the things keeping us from cutting the cable and switching to DishNetwork is the "lack" of local channels. Yes, we can get one local for each major network, but with cable we get 2 for each along with a bunch of independents.

I think I've discovered why - we live right at the border between two "tv market" areas.

Is there any chance that I can get (ie pay for) two different sets of local channels?

You can only get the local channels to which you are entitled by law. Whatever DMA you are in will be the only channels you can receive. There are some cases where subscribers may get multiple affiliates for the same network because of overlapping broadcast areas. (If two NBC stations both have must carry status, DISH would have to carry both, for example.) Best thing to do is put in your full address and see what DISH will provide. Remember, these are restrictions by law, not by choice.

Edit: An example is Lincoln Nebraska which has two ABC affiliates eligible for must carry to the same subscribers. DISH is, as required by law, carrying both.

you are only eligible for the local channel's that are defined by your DMA. Case in point, here in Iowa, in the SW part of the state, the DMA are the Omaha channels, yet on cable, in addition to the Omaha local's, you'll find most of the Des Moines stations. In northwest Iowa, the DMA are the Sioux City locals, yet on a lot of cable systems, you'll find "distant locals" from Des Moines and Sioux Falls.

The new SHIVA bill that was passed will allow "significantly viewed" channels.

You should be able to get the channels from your two markets sometime early next year.

Will this apply to every market or certain markets? For example, here in Iowa, espically in the western half of the state, locals from Des Moines are carried on cable, regardless if you live in the Des Moines DMA or not.

mwgiii said:
The new SHIVA bill that was passed will allow "significantly viewed" channels.

You should be able to get the channels from your two markets sometime early next year.

Within 60 days after the SHVREA is sighed into law, the FCC must publish a list of channels that are eligible for significantly viewed status and what communitis can get what sig. viewed channels. Until then, we are doing nothing but guessing. Also the satellite company must give 60 days notice to the stations involved. So we are looking at up to 4 months before any station is added as SV in any market and that is if everyone is on the ball right off the bat.

Lets just say that if the cable system in your area gets channels from other markets, then chances are satellite will be ALLOWED to carry the station. Remember, they do not have to EVER.

See ya
Tony

Interesting. Needless to say, it'll be something worth watching.

TNGTony said:
Within 60 days after the SHVREA is sighed into law, the FCC must publish a list of channels that are eligible for significantly viewed status and what communitis can get what sig. viewed channels. Until then, we are doing nothing but guessing. Also the satellite company must give 60 days notice to the stations involved. So we are looking at up to 4 months before any station is added as SV in any market and that is if everyone is on the ball right off the bat.

Lets just say that if the cable system in your area gets channels from other markets, then chances are satellite will be ALLOWED to carry the station. Remember, they do not have to EVER.

See ya
Tony

The satellite companies may choose not to add these extra channels that are out of market because it would cost them extra money or they may choose to allow you to get them for an addition cost.

Or, if D*/E* already carries the channel, it'll probably be made available at no cost - if I read it right that there's no further consent/cost involved from the broadcast station.

Stargazer said:
The satellite companies may choose not to add these extra channels that are out of market because it would cost them extra money or they may choose to allow you to get them for an addition cost.
It should be noted that the "significantly viewed" rule was added to the Section 119 (distants) statutory license, which normally requires royalties; it wasn't added to the Section 122 (LIL) license which is royalty-free. However, a closer examination of the royalties provisions will be required to determine if royalties will be required for "significantly viewed" stations.

Nonetheless, there is another issue that arises for "significantly viewed" stations: The FCC still must decide whether or not the "network nonduplication" and "syndex" rules will apply. These rules allow local stations to impose significant restrictions on "significantly viewed" cable channels that show the same programming; the FCC has a year to determine if they will apply to satellite as well. That may not stop Charlie, but initial indications are D* may wait for that rulemaking before adding too many such channels. (I've been answering questions from a D* customer by PM ever since the initial SHVERA threads.)

BTW: The only reason SHVERA hasn't been signed yet is that it's tied to unrelated matters in an omnibus bill that Congress must pass. It will become law; the only question is when. Currently, it appears it will be signed between Dec. 6 and 8; it may come later (depending on whether or not another continuing resolution is passed with it--Dec. 8 is the end of the current resolution), but the President will definitely sign it before Christmas. (If it doesn't happen by Dec. 31, ALL distants will go dark, and even the NAB doesn't want that to happen.)

I imagine that Dish (and Direct) will offer significantly viewed channels if allowed. Afterall, it's a win-win situation.
1) The advantage of cable offering both sets to those areas will be gone.
2) Will cost Dish almost nothing to offer.
3) Can charge extra for the second set.

And for those areas where the significantly viewed would require an upgrade to side dish or super dish, Dish will NOT be required to install at no cost, so still will cost Dish almost nothing to offer.

Legally, the cable companies have to black out duplicate programming on the "other" local. However, probably about 99% of them do not. Our major provider in this area, the first cable company in the world, started doing that about 5 years ago.

Barry Erick said:
Legally, the cable companies have to black out duplicate programming on the "other" local. However, probably about 99% of them do not. Our major provider in this area, the first cable company in the world, started doing that about 5 years ago.
I thought that was only the case if they brought in the channel distantly (ie. York cable bringing in WB17 from Philadelphia, since there is no local OTA WB station), but NOT if it was able to be picked up over the air in that area (Baltimore OTA stations that can be seen by antenna in York).

correct

and only if the other station involkes its syndex option (or whatever its called)

When Minneapolis UPN was channel 9, that was on most cable companies in MN. When I lived in Duluth, if one of the syndicated programs was on a broadcast channel in Duluth, 9 had a screen with "due to fcc rules. this propgram is blacked out at this time. Check for other viewing times". This was for things like Maury, Springer, and the judge shows. When Duluth got a UPN (KDUL...lasted 11 months and was a joke), they started doing it to UPN programming, but when Charter got copmplaints because KDUL's picture was grainy, no audio, or even black and white (on cable!!), they chucked that rule :)