Multiple NASA TV Channels w/One Receiver?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Secret Asian Man

Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Seattle
I want to watch multiple NASA TV channels simultaneously using one receiver (and only one dish). Is this possible? If so, what hardware would you recommend for making it happen? Remember, one of the channels is HD...

All the specifications (satellite, transponder, frequency, etc.) for NASA TV are listed here: NASA - NASA TV

This is the general FAQ:
NASA - Frequently Asked Questions about NASA TV

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton!

You can flip between the 4 channels (3 SD 1 HD..one is scrambled) but if you're talking all simultaneously then you need 4 receivers. Honestly I dont know why you'd do that as a fair amount of the time all the channels are showing the same thing..but for sake of argument

one dish will do fine...6 foot or larger...2 ways to do it
single output LNB to receiver 1...use loop out to receiver 2 etc. SInce all channels are same polarity this can be done
or get a dual output LNB and a 3x4 multiswitch...set up would be like below (disregard the 2nd LNB)

for receivers you could get by with any type for the SD channels and a cheaper HD receiver since its all MPEG2

Attachments

• Multiswitch_4x4_example.JPG
    Multiswitch_4x4_example.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 196
i think a dvb-s card should be able to do what you want. i think dvbdream supports multiple pip from the same transponder.

crackt out,.

I want to watch multiple NASA TV channels simultaneously using one receiver (and only one dish). Is this possible?

If you want to do it with one "receiver", use a computer tuner card, record the entire signal and split out the individual channels. I'm not sure if there is software to do all that live time, but I know it's easy to do with recorded material (such as when I record and process shuttle stuff when I make a HD copy and a SD copy of various things during a mission using just one recording of that event and pick off the public channel for SD and the HD channel for HD).

Easiest way to do live viewing/distribution is multiple receivers as previously mentioned - one for each channel in the mux.

using my demux app you can record the entire stream from a tp at once, be it 4 video programs or 30 doesnt matter. it runs in linux and Ive compiled a version as well for mips based dreambox's

tsreader can also do the same thing in windows I believe, its been awhile since Ive used it.

I like to watch the NASA channels too but there is NO sound.
Good Picture.
Pansat 250sm. Tried various sound changes on the Pansat
with no luck

change the language or audio from stream 1 to stream 2. NASA a couple months ago switched it so stream 1 is AC-3 audio and stream 2 is regular audio

Effective Wednesday, Sept. 1, 2010 at 2 p.m. Eastern, NASA TV is changing the primary audio configuration for each of its four channels to AC-3, making each channel’s secondary audio MPEG 1 Layer II.

I remember old SD receivers like the CS6000 or CW650 allow you to create a mosaic of several continuos channels in the same TP in different arrays , like 4x4 or 2x2 or 3x2 and the likes. They are all SD receivers but since the HD channel carries the same video as the first SD channel it could be a cheap solution. There could be an HD receiver that has the same capability though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)