Multiple satellite system setups

Dan Berndt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Are any of you guys with multiple satellite system setups using a multiswitch to combine the two systems and use a satellite inside the house to go to the two system receivers? Or can you explain how you have your multiple systems set up? Do you run separate feeds from the dish all the way to the receivers?

I think Tim (rudolpht) mentioned that thw SW-64 multiswitch for E* was not compatible with V*. So he ended up using one feed for E* and the other for V* (from the LNB). Is this correct Tim?

I have two separate fees coming from the VOOM Dish to two receivers. My E* dish at 61.5 has its own multiswitch to combine it with 110 & 119.

So both V* and E*, I have kept separate. I do not know what kind of multiswitch V* will use. Does anybody know?

That's correct. I tried splitters and even a conventional 22KHz switch to presplit the signal. Ultimately it would get thrown off by one unit or the other wanting an even or odd transporter.

Now with Dish HD on 110, it's much easier and I don't need 61.5 into a SW64. I have one 61.5 run only to a 500 w/ mod. 1 to Voom and other dish sats (110, 119) into the switch.

Tim

Ok, I've just signed up for VOOM today. I may jettison E* completely, but not until Mar. 31 when we make our final choice.

Question - installers coming Dec. 29. I already have a dish pointed at 61.5 for Dish HD (CBS), extra locals (which I don't for latter anymore). Can they just use a dual LNBF, and take one feed (leaving the other for Dish)? Or is the satellite at a different direction vertically? I don't mind having the two receivers and component outputs, my Mitz has three component inputs (allowing one left for DVD).

I think you could but depending on location the dish might have to be pointed in another direction. You can mention this to the installer since it will save him the trouble.

Wally said:
Question - installers coming Dec. 29. I already have a dish pointed at 61.5 for Dish HD (CBS), extra locals (which I don't for latter anymore). Can they just use a dual LNBF, and take one feed (leaving the other for Dish)?

Yes.

As an aside I switch my Voom, Dish, and D-VHS through receiver (with no room for LiteOn upscaling DVD). With a programmable remote (Pronto, MX-800) it works great.

Tim

You can definatly use the same dish that E* uses for the 61.5 slot as long as you have a free port on the LNB.

Just make sure that your installer does the manual tune thing on the receiver, before complaining about the signal strength, it will save you hours of trouble shooting x . After tweeking the dish for V*, my E* signal was much better. I live in NH.

Also make sure that you keep the voom dish in case you end up returning things. !

Does anybody know what type of switch is needed for a three receiver system? Can you provide a picture of it? I would assume that you may not use the same switch for E* or D*.

not sure still looking for info myself but they seem to be useing the same technology dish and cable wise as d* so their switch might work like i said still trying to get info p.s. thanks for the reply to my e-mail been to busy to say thanks

I was told a conventional 22KHz switch should work, e.g., 2 in (noth sides of an LNB, 4 out. Eagle Aspen and a number of places carry them cheap. Note Dish will not work as one of the outs as they use addressed swiching vs. tone.

Good luck.

Is anyone successfully sharing sat 61.5 between Voom & Dish Net?

For everyone who had Voom installed in the last 1-2 weeks:

1. Did the installer run one or both leads from the 61.5 dish Dual LNB?

2. Did they use a multi-switch from one, or, both leads even though you may only have a single Voom receiver?

I ask because I want to share a single 61.5 dish between Voom and Dish to get CBSHD as well as Voom, and, I talked to a supposedly knowledgeable guy at Voom- he said you cannot reasonably share a Dish 61.5 sat dish to still get CBSHD and Voom because:

A. they currently use a different voltage to power the LNB (Voom currently is at 11-12 volts)

B. when Voom uses up all the odd side transponders it will need both leads from the LNB at an unknown powering and switching voltage.

He said, for this reason, even single box Voom installs now are being done with multi-switches to provide for a growing program lineups use of both sides of 61.5 Dual LNB.

I am by no means certain he's right.

Separately, I have read that others have in fact used one lead for Voom and one lad for Dish equipment to receive CBSHD off transponder 20 on 61.5.

Can anyone clear this up?

rudolpht said:
I was told a conventional 22KHz switch should work, e.g., 2 in (noth sides of an LNB, 4 out. Eagle Aspen and a number of places carry them cheap. Note Dish will not work as one of the outs as they use addressed swiching vs. tone.

Good luck.

I really want to nail this down.

I understand that I only need to run one for full Voom service now.

When Voom starts to use more transponders on 61.5 will the single Voom receiver do all the 61.5 LNB polarity switching needed to get all the potential future Voom programming from 61.5?

Also, can I run the other 61.5 LNB output cable in to a Dish SW64 port to combine only 1 Dish channel at 61.5 (CBSHD)?

Sean Mota said:
This is possible.

I really want to nail this down.

I understand that I only need to run one for full Voom service now.

When Voom starts to use more transponders on 61.5 will the single Voom receiver do all the 61.5 LNB polarity switching needed to get all the potential future Voom programming from 61.5?

Also, can I run the other 61.5 LNB output cable in to a Dish SW64 port to combine only 1 Dish channel at 61.5 (CBSHD)?

Check again later, maybe Tim has more insight on this. Now you know that there are no more TP available at 61.5. Unless Dish sells/gives VOOM some TP there is no more. I personally do not think Dish will give VOOM any TPs any time soon. I will merge this with the other thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)