Multiple simultaneous Hopper issues

GolfGolf

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
United States
First post for me.....
Have had the Hopper for over a year with only minor issues that were resolved via this forum.
This all happened when I turned on TV Saturday morning.
1. All recordings gone.....Over 170 recordings. Timers are still there, PTAT recordings and Rentals gone too
2. Program guide missing channel logos.
3. Program guide missing "play" button on channels with other viewing options (On demand, later episodes, etc..)
4. Program guide search button (below channel down button on remote) yields no results even when in the program guide.
5. Blue button (apps button) when selected, shows all apps are "new" as if this was a new hopper. When "game finder" is selected, I was prompted to choose my favorite teams and sports, again as if it was a new hopper.
6. New recordings (since Saturday) don't have normal channel viewing pane, instead they are blue with light streaks

So far I have unplugged 2 times, once for 30 sec the other for 30 mins. What next?

Sounds like your DVR performed a "self" reset and a full one. It's acting like a brand new, out-of-the-box unit right now. Give it a few days and I bet many of those issues you listed will be back to normal. Well, your recordings won't return, but little things like the missing channel logos, show image of recordings,etc will look normal again.

After all this though, I wouldn't trust that hard drive. This is usually a first warning sign of a failing HDD.

Sounds like your DVR performed a "self" reset and a full one. It's acting like a brand new, out-of-the-box unit right now. Give it a few days and I bet many of those issues you listed will be back to normal. Well, your recordings won't return, but little things like the missing channel logos, show image of recordings,etc will look normal again.

After all this though, I wouldn't trust that hard drive. This is usually a first warning sign of a failing HDD.
That happened to me, and it was painful. Either the HDD is failing, or the reset may have fixed it to function for a long time. Personally, I would get an RMA and not gamble the recovery would happen again.

FWIW, I've started the habit of immediately moving my recordings to the external HDD so that if I ever have another DVR HDD die on me, I won't lose the most important recordings. I still leave some on the internal HDD, but those are recordings that I'm comfortable losing or re-recording.

I have had this happen twice to my hopper with sling and I really hope that the Hopper 3 is less buggy. Both times Dish said there were no problems with it :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts