Multiple STBs on same Bird/Transponder

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
As strange as a question as this might seem, if one had 4 IRDs that would ALWAYS be using the same Bird/Transponder at the same time, could one use a single feed from a multiswitch and split it for each of the IRDs?

For sake of this example, think of the local OTA or Distant ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX station on the same Bird Transponders.

If so, what would one use to properly split the signal 4x at the IRDs so you knew which was the Master IRD controlling the feed.

oljim said:
Will not work, but you could feed RF from 1 IRD to all 4 TVs and get the same thing

Nope, RF from 1 IRD will give you 1 channel on all 4 monitors - not all 4 network channels to 4 different monitors at the same time.

I thought there was discussion somewhere of the reason you could not put more than 1 IRD per run was because 1 IRD might be asking for 119W Even while another was asking for 110 Odd transponders - thus they were being fed the wrong thing.

As all markets have the big 4 networks on the same bird and transponder, ie 119W T23, it seems it should work as all are asking for the same datastream.

Last edited:
Yes you can - just give a role to one of the series of receivers be a 'master', so keep it connected as usual; for other three use the three or four way splitter what will BLOCK DC from all that 'slave' receivers; pay attention to freq range - must be at least 2150 MHz or higher.

Oh, important, the setup will works for legacy LNBFs; new DP or DPP devices will not allow the trick - they are using DiSEqC commands not 13/18V DC for switch polarity and SATs. You should avoid using any switches actually. Just other thought - if there any DiSEqC blockers exist, then you will have more variants.

Last edited:
Smith said:
Yes you can - just give a role to one of the series of receivers be a 'master', so keep it connected as usual; for other three use the three or four way splitter what will BLOCK DC from all that 'slave' receivers; pay attention to freq range - must be at least 2150 MHz or higher.

Oh, important, the setup will works for legacy LNBFs; new DP or DPP devices will not allow the trick - they are using DiSEqC commands not 13/18V DC for switch polarity and SATs. You should avoid using any switches actually. Just other thought - if there any DiSEqC blockers exist, then you will have more variants.

Would you just stack 3 diplexors?

1 feeding the other 2 - so only 1 allows voltage through?

Might as well throw in 3 of my senses, or maybe just 3 cents.

Most would ask why would you even want to do this? You are out in the middle of the woods with 4 tents and 4 receivers, or some other temporary setup - Katrina just came through. Or maybe just to expand the mine.

I tend to agree with Smith, P, but not completely.

Providing you don't have any signal loss and the receiver has no issues, you should be able to split an LNBF signal to multiple receivers without any affect, provided all receivers are either using Odd transponders, or Even transponders. It shouldn't have to be the same transponder, just the same polarity.

The splitters should be rated for 950 - 1450 MHz.

On the splitters.... DC Pass on one or multiple? I think either would work. But on the blocking, only the "passing" port would be able to change the polarity, while the "blocked" port would not. So if all passed, each receiver could change the available transponders and affect what the others are watching.

DishPro LNBF's are DiSEqC (2.0?) compatible, but are also backwards compatible (13V/18V), so they should also work. In fact, if the splitters are rated for 950 - 2150, in theory each receiver should be able to independently use Odd or Even transponders since the polarities are bandstacked (Odd = 950-1450; Even = 1650-2150). But then the splitters would have to be rated 950 - 2150 MHz. (And the receivers would have to be able to use bandstacked signals.)

I think a switch would probably be a cost effective investment.

But if you are in an older residence that has been prewired for cable using a combination of splitters instead of the cables running from a distribution point, and not looking to invest in re-cabling the home/townhome/condo/apt/etc..., have a couple of extra receivers that you want to give a little flexibility to the bedrooms, then I think it would work if there is no signal loss. (Caution: Also, older cable pre-wires may be using RG-59 cable, as well as splitters that are rated upto about 1000 MHz (i.e., 50 - 1000 MHz) and may not give you the signal you'll be looking for).

As SP said, try it.

Edit: PS - But don't do it as a professional install for someone else, unless they have a basketball goal to put another receiver!

Last edited:
"DishPro LNBF's are DiSEqC (2.0?) compatible, but are also backwards compatible (13V/18V), so they should also work."

Are you sure ? DPP - yes, but DP ?

Maybe I should qualify this a little more.

I want to be able to put ABC/CBS/FOX and NBC on 4 different monitors at the same time in SD. Call it newsgathering - or watching the Hurricanes go by if you will.

A local office upgraded to lcd monitors on their computers and was throwing away the CRTS, thus I have the capability to make this work pretty easily.

I can get OTA and I have a neighboring market which is essentially my "home" as far as Dish is concerned.

I did not really want to run 4 new lines for this as it is a fairly specialized application.

I thought the diplexor would be the easiest way to block the current and not worry about signal loss as I have legacy and a SW64 which would be my 4th output. So in reality I would need another SW64, diplextors to it for the satellite feeds blah blah blah - thats what I was trying to stay away from.

So, those being the variables, would you go the full scale SW64 in parallel or another method to keep signal loss to a minimum.

I would also state that I cannot afford any further signal loss as 148W is already on the threshold for me.

I'm not familiar with the SW64 and cascading.

However, backing up a little - Am I sure DishPro is backwards compatible? Looks like I may have been slightly off.

DishPro receivers are compatible with DishPro LNBFs and Switches, and backwards compatible to Legacy LNBFs and Legacy Switches.

Legacy receivers would require a DP Adaptor to work with a DishPro LNBF or DishPro Switch (but not the DishPro Plus 44 Switch). I guess the Adaptor provides two functions; (1) converts the signals (13V/18V to 22KHz), and (2) supplies the increased power required by DishPro LNBF's.

Edit:
Back to the main topic: A single cable feeding 4 receivers - right next to each other with limited capability.

It seems like a 4 way splitter, DC passing on one port would be the answer. Take the input to the current receiver and feed a 4-way splitter, then connect the DC passing port to the current receiver. Then feed the other 3 receivers with the DC Block ports.
Maybe?

Last edited:
I did not know there was a 4 way splitter that only 1 would pass voltage. I thought on 2 port diplextors did that. Where can I find one of the 4 ports splitters with only 1 passing voltage? I did not know they existed.

SP - Yes you did, guess I'll just take myself out back and shoot me!
Actually, until I read it again, I was thinking you were refering to diplexers.

As you stated, the 2150 MHz splitters would work, but if bandstacking is not being used (legacy), then I would think that a splitter covering 950 - 1450 MHz would be sufficient.

Here's some links to some splitters.

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Switches/Splitters.htm
http://www.prosat.com/parts.html
http://www.prosat.com/catalog/item/1824253/1253273.htm
http://www.amabilidade2002.com/splitter2.htm

Good Luck,

Thanks guys!

Cheap and easy.....I had *assumed* splitters would pass voltage on all ports so you needed the diplexer.

I learn something new everyday!

Now if I could just learn why I always find one more small something I need from Sadoun after I just placed an order for all the other small things I need :(

Last edited:
The shipping may be more than the cost of several splitters.

Guess you edited the same time I was posting.
Maybe they haven't shipped the items yet, and can put the splitters in your order (or maybe tape it to the box).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)