Multiple Tivo's and new subscriber questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mpattee

Original poster
Oct 10, 2005
I'm currently looking at signing up for directv and I have a few questions. I tried searching through the old threads and didn't find answers to the questions I had. I currently have a standalone tivo and that is the basis for some of the questions.

My first question is if I were to purcahase multiple directv/tivo units can you share recorded items between them like you can with standalone tivo's? I'm looking at multiple directv/tivo units not combining them with my standalone tivo. I'll most likely stop using the standalone unit.

Do you have to pay the $5.99 fee for each directv/tivo unit?

Is it worth waiting for the new R15 model, will it have season pass like tivo does?

I'm also considering getting up to 3 of these directv/tivo units. Will this present any special conditions/issues?

Thanks for any help. Sorry if I missed these in my searches.

mpattee said:
My first question is if I were to purcahase multiple directv/tivo units can you share recorded items between them like you can with standalone tivo's? I'm looking at multiple directv/tivo units not combining them with my standalone tivo. I'll most likely stop using the standalone unit.
Nope. They have no Multi-Room Viewing.

mpattee said:
Do you have to pay the $5.99 fee for each directv/tivo unit?
The $5.99 fee is for up to 8 units. Note you still have to pay a $5 / outlet mirroring fee after the first receiver.
(So, let's say you have 4 TiVos -- You'd pay $20.99 / mo for the privilege.)

mpattee said:
Is it worth waiting for the new R15 model, will it have season pass like tivo does?
The $64,000 question. it will have something like Season Pass. No one knows for sure if it will be a good enough box to be a TiVo Killer. I personally would not wait.

mpattee said:
I'm also considering getting up to 3 of these directv/tivo units. Will this present any special conditions/issues?

You'll need two RG6 coax wires from a 4x8 multiswitch to each TiVo. That may present wiring difficulties. In addition, the installer may try to skimp and give you two 3x4 multiswitches. Don't let him.

H

Thanks for the very informative reply.

You'll need two RG6 coax wires from a 4x8 multiswitch to each TiVo. That may present wiring difficulties. In addition, the installer may try to skimp and give you two 3x4 multiswitches. Don't let him.

Is this something thats usually included in the install, cost wise?

My plan is to go to best buy or Circuit city or something and pick up 3 of the directv/tivo units. I imagine then I'll have to schedule a time to have them install the service. Is there a general amount of stuff that is included.

Directv TiVo is a known and very reliable product it has virtually no faults buy them. Why gamble on a R-15 with the same costs and no track record.

mpattee said:
Thanks for the very informative reply.
Is this something thats usually included in the install, cost wise?

My plan is to go to best buy or Circuit city or something and pick up 3 of the directv/tivo units. I imagine then I'll have to schedule a time to have them install the service. Is there a general amount of stuff that is included.

Can't speak for BestBuy or Circuit City. They retain their own installers. If you ordered from DirecTV, the order would include all necessary hardware for installation. (If you order receivers needing a total of 6 lines, the order should include a multiswitch with at least that many outputs.) Whether the installer brings the hardware listed on the order is another matter.

I'd call Robert at Value Electronics. They give a 10% discount to members of this forum and unheard of for them to skimp on necessary equipment for your order.

One simple note: If the installer shows up and starts giving you the runaround, call your retailer immediately. Do not allow the installer to do anything without the proper equipment confirmed in your order. Do not sign -anything-.

H

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have been talking to Robert at Value Electronics and I think thats the way I'm going to go.

I wish there was a way to share between the 3 tivo's but oh well. We'll all just get what we want in our household on our respective tivo's.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)