Status
Please reply by conversation.

jmc98

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 11, 2005
32.750N 97.488W Fort worth Tx
Am about to cut ties to direct tv and want to know what I will need to setup a multiple tv fta setup I understand that I won't get what I had with directv ?

The most capable: Each television has independent channel selection. Receiver and dish/motor for each television. Second configuration: Multiswitch and a couple of fixed dishes with dual output LNBF's. Expand dish count with Diseqc switch. (covered in the FAQ section: Switches Simplified) (Maybe even motorize one?)
The least capable: modulator driven by receiver feeding all televisions. (All watch one 'channel') Think there's a reason enough for C band. Got room for an 8 - 10ft dish?

FaT Air said:
The most capable: Each television has independent channel selection. Receiver and dish/motor for each television. Second configuration: Multiswitch and a couple of fixed dishes with dual output LNBF's. Expand dish count with Diseqc switch. (covered in the FAQ section: Switches Simplified) (Maybe even motorize one?)
The least capable: modulator driven by receiver feeding all televisions. (All watch one 'channel') Think there's a reason enough for C band. Got room for an 8 - 10ft dish?

It not necessary that each tv have independent channels as they all won't be watched at the same time can different tvs control the motor through a multiswitch

A multiswitch is usually to connect multiple LNBs to a single receiver (some multiswitches have multiple outputs).

A motor is best controlled by a single receiver.

can different tvs control the motor through a multiswitch
The receiver at one TV can control a motor as the motor is between the multiswitch and the receiver.
The other receivers are limited to the satellite that's selected by the one running the motor.
multiswitch --- how do i hook up a c/ku lnb to it
A dual band LNBF is not compatible with a multiswitch.
A multiswitch allows multiple receivers to use any of the dual output LNBFs connected to it, independent of the other receivers. Dual output LNBFs are required so each receiver can get either polarity.
Connecting a 2nd receiver via the first receivers 'loop out' allows the 2nd receiver to receive channels on the satellite, polarity and band(C or Ku) that is selected by the first receiver, when using a dual band LNBF. (NO Multiswitch)
It not necessary that each tv have independent channels as they all won't be watched at the same time
Then, I would employ a modulator and combine with the OTA antenna and feed all TV's. IR remote Extenders employed to operate the satellite receiver.

photo.jpg
is there a way to use the C/KU lnb in the picture with the switch in the picture?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Anole said:
To operate multiple receivers?
No.

Please read the SwitchesSimplified FAQ for a basic understanding of switches.

iPhone 4

Can I use a dual c lnb with a dual ku lnb attached to the connected with 2 disquiet switches with the multiswitch for multiple receivers

The short and long-term answer to replacing a significant fraction of the DIRECTV programming and distribution flexibility with a reasonably priced FTA system is no.

There's surely a good amount of stuff to watch, but very little of it will be the channels you and your housemates are familiar with. I can't recommend going after something like FTA without an already identified "killer app" that you can't reasonably get elsewhere as the price of the dance card is pretty high.

harshness said:
The short and long-term answer to replacing a significant fraction of the DIRECTV programming and distribution flexibility with a reasonably priced FTA system is no.

There's surely a good amount of stuff to watch, but very little of it will be the channels you and your housemates are familiar with. I can't recommend going after something like FTA without an already identified "killer app" that you can't reasonably get elsewhere as the price of the dance card is pretty high.

I not looking for the familiar channels just channels that show the older retro shows to supplement antenna the most watched channels are local

Can I use a dual c lnb with a dual ku lnb attached to the connected with 2 disquiet switches with the multiswitch for multiple receivers
A dual output C-band (ex: SatAV C2) along with dual output Ku LNBF (ex: SatAV SL2) would plug directly into an unmodified 4X4 (or preferably a self-powered) 4X8 or 5X8 multiswitch.
(recommended switch is cheaper than smaller ones)
The outputs of the multiswitch go directly to 8 receivers.
If those two LNBFs are all you want, you are done! :)

Again, see the Switches Simplified FAQ for details, wiring diagram, and programming info.
edit:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/134124-Switch-setups-simplified
I think it's post #7

iPhone4

Last edited:
You can use a multiswitch connected to 2 dual output LNBF's. The multiswitch can connect to 1 or 4 or 8 receivers depending on model of switch. More receivers are possible. See switches simplified. BUT - before going whole hog, just run one receiver and see if it's worth going whole hog on. For the types of entertainment you mention, I think an 8 to 10 ft dish is going to be required, Something to move it across the arc also, as that's C band. Ku is mainly feeds with only 83W Ku with 24/7 retro channels. Night take a look here for information on what's on what band.
Being in a major metro area, I haven't looked, but would think the majority of whats on satellite would be available OTA (subchannels).

One more thing that may help you weening yourself from Dishnet, Netflix !

If you have a Blu-Ray player or other compatible Netflix player, you can connect that to your TV and enjoy a LOT of stuff that has shown in the past years on a lot of the "pay" channels, like Discovery, NatGeo etc.

Of course you also need high speed internet for this, but it IS a viable alternative to expensive cable or Dishnet. And it's only $7.98 a month (or something close to that amount).

Photto

I not looking for the familiar channels just channels that show the older retro shows to supplement antenna the most watched channels are local
As I said, you need to see if the programming is there before you worry about the hardware. If you're looking for syndicated entertainment programming, FTA probably isn't the solution. AntennaTV is not FTA. RetroTV is not FTA. I'm not sure about MyTV.

here's somebody's list of what is on Ku:

http://www.ftalist.com/master.php

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)