Multiple Wally DVR capabilities

NickedAgain

Original poster
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Hello all, new member here, as in my search travels this certainly seemed to be the best place to get quality information on all things Dish.

I am in the process of designing a media setup for a motorcoach and need a little insight. We will be using identical but independent antenna setups and using a Wally receiver at each location (front/rear of coach). First, will I be able to use both setups under a single account or does the fact they have separate sat dishes cause an issue with billing. Secondly, is there a way to utilize a single DVR hard drive for both Wally receivers, either through a network drive, or a powered hub connecting both Wallys to a single drive. I understand the DVR process formats the connected drive in a proprietary manner, but if a drive is correctly formatted would 2 Wallys be able to utilize it. The problem is, with individual drives, what is recorded at one location would not be available to view at the other and vice versa, this is the hoop I'm trying to circumvent if possible.

Thanks again for the join, and any insight you good folks might provide. Happy Dishing... Nick

If you installed a single Winegard Trav'ler automatic aiming dish on the coach roof connected to a Dish Hopper w/Sling (H2) or Hopper 3 with a Joey for the second location, you could record and watch multiple channels from either location. The H2 has 3 satellite tuners and the H3 has 16.

If you installed a single Winegard Trav'ler automatic aiming dish on the coach roof connected to a Dish Hopper w/Sling (H2) or Hopper 3 with a Joey for the second location, you could record and watch multiple channels from either location. The H2 has 3 satellite tuners and the H3 has 16.
Thanks NYDutch. Since the coach will be used for a month or 2 of traveling 2 or 3 times a year, would the Hopper and Joey be available on the plan that allows to access service when needed on a month to month basis, and shut it off without any fees or restrictions when not needed? I know that option is available but don't know if equipment options are included or you're bound to the Wally. Can the Hopper 3 and Joey be purchased or are they only available as monthly rental equipment. We were planning on going with a TracVision RV1 for in motion viewing, but Winegard also offers an in motion sat, I don't think the sat dish itself would matter much as long as the Dish Network is available through it. I'm not that familiar with Dish so please pardon the rudimentary questions, they do seem to be a far better choice for travel service than anything else currently offered.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks NYDutch. Since the coach will be used for a month or 2 of traveling 2 or 3 times a year, would the Hopper and Joey be available on the plan that allows to access service when needed on a month to month basis, and shut it off without any fees or restrictions when not needed? I know that option is available but don't know if equipment options are included or you're bound to the Wally. Can the Hopper 3 and Joey be purchased or are they only available as monthly rental equipment. We were planning on going with a TracVision RV1 for in motion viewing, but Winegard also offers an in motion sat, I don't think the sat dish itself would matter much as long as the Dish Network is available through it. I'm not that familiar with Dish so please pardon the rudimentary questions, they do seem to be a far better choice for travel service than anything else currently offered.
The in-motion dishes will not work with the Dish multi-tuner Hopper receivers, so that's out for your application. The dual Wally's will work, and each Wally having it's own dish won't affect having them on a single "Outdoor" account that can be suspended at will. I don't see any way to share one USB external hard drive with two Wally's though.

The in-motion dishes will not work with the Dish multi-tuner Hopper receivers, so that's out for your application. The dual Wally's will work, and each Wally having it's own dish won't affect having them on a single "Outdoor" account that can be suspended at will. I don't see any way to share one USB external hard drive with two Wally's though.
Thank you NYDutch, you gave me more information in 20 minutes than I found in 20 days searching the internet..

NYDutch off topic but can a Hopper and Joey be on an Outdoor account if used with a stand alone DISH antenna at the camp ground?
I'd be curious too, I might opt out of the in-motion sat if this is possible and I can't come up with any other solution. There's other options to watch while moving like local plex and possibly streaming, depending on location.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have 3 hoppers with sling,1 wally,1,222k,and a 211k all on RV account...all owned ...Don't use dish or dish outdoors to setup the account..I used dishformyrv..They sell hoppers on their site.They activated the 222 first and then I used dishchat for adding each additional receiver to the account with no problems..If you're going to use the RV account all equipment must be purchased

I'd be curious too, I might opt out of the in-motion sat if this is possible and I can't come up with any other solution. There's other options to watch while moving like local plex and possibly streaming, depending on location.
I’ll answer that for you. Yes, you are allowed to activate a Hopper/Joeys on a outdoor account, only caveat is that the equipment has to be owned. So you would need to source both of these (dishformyrv.com and solidsignal.com are places you can look at for this, solid signal has the H3 for $230), and as Dutch mentioned, you’re only options for signal are the winegard trav’ler or a manually pointed home satellite dish (if you have the patience/willing to learn how to do alignment on your own). I have also heard of people successfully adding Hoppers on their home account for RV usage, but you would have to roll the CSR die to see if you get someone knowledgeable/willing to do so. I’m guessing you don’t have Dish at home so that probably does not apply to you.

NYDutch off topic but can a Hopper and Joey be on an Outdoor account if used with a stand alone DISH antenna at the camp ground?
I have two Hopper 2's and a Joey on my account, but only one of the Hopper's is listed as "Outdoor" for some reason. But every time I get my bill, it specifically tells me if I don't want service for the next month I should just not pay the bill. Oddly, the H2 that's listed as "Outdoor" is the one installed in our upstate NY family cottage, with the other one in our motorhome. The Joey is currently at the cottage, but we have used it in the motorhome at times. The MyDish app works fine for changing our locals along the way using the security code from the motorhome H2 though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)