Multiplex and splitters

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

grothman

Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
California
I am moving into a new home in which every room is prewired for cable or satellite tv with a central area of input. In my current apartment I have a 5 LNB Directv dish with a 4 wire output. A 4x8 multiswitch is now used to supply 2 signals to each of 4 HR21-700 DVR receivers. In the new house, I plan to add 2 more tvs and dvr receivers. What type of multiswitch and splitters will I need to allow two signals to each DVR? Thanks for the help

Are you sure it is a 4x8? The required switches are 6x8, although for most people only 4 inputs are used. You could use another 6x8, using 4 2-output splitters to feed them. The splitters should be rated for 5-2100 MHz.

Wouldn't I need 6 2 output splitters, one for each TV?

No, the splitters go between the LNB and the switches. You need one splitter for each line off the LNB. One of the outputs from the splitter goes to the one switch, the other splitter output goes to the second switch. Repeat with the remaining splitters.

You could also buy a WB616, which would give you 16 outputs. If space is an issue in your central location, that would be ideal. It's expensive though, around $200.00.

Wht mc2739 is talking about is basically the same thing as the WB616, it just takes up more space. An example can be found here:

The DIRECTV Multiswitch Zinwell WB616, MS6X16WB-Z is an HD satellite Multiswitch to give you the option of adding more DIRECTV Receivers on this 6x8 multiswitch.

Me personally, I would buy two SWM8 multiswitches from ebay. You connect them the same way as the two WB68's, except you only need one wire to each receiver. A wiring diagram can be found here:

http://www.weaknees.com/pdf/dual-swm-switches.pdf

That is assuming all your receivers are SWM compatible, if they are HR series DVR's they are. Have you considered having DirecTV come do this for you? With the Movers Connection it shouldn't cost you anything.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts