Multisports ?

tsduke

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 6, 2007
Iowa
According to MLB these are my blackout teams.

Chicago Cubs
St. Louis Cardinals
Minnesota Twins
Milwaukee Brewers
Chicago White Sox
Kansas City Royals

I currently get CSN-Chicago. Will I get any additional games on the added FSN's for these teams by adding the multi sports pack?

CTownPride

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jun 6, 2007
Sounds like someone's from Iowa. (edit: I suppose I would've noticed this if I looked closer.)

I will likely not receive any additional games from FSN outlets acquired by purchasing the sports pack. You are only entitled to games broadcast on those channels which appear in your regular cable package.

Unfortunately, adding MLB Extra Innings won't solve this problem either; nor will purchasing MLB.TV. The rules are ridiculous. If you would like, you can view the "blackout map" at the following web site:

http://www.maurybrown.com/images/MLBTerritories.jpg

tsduke

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 6, 2007
Iowa
Iowa it is. When I was with Mediacom cable I had both FSN-Midwest and CSN-Chicago. This is the only thing I miss about Mediacom.

I don't understand why I can't get my dma teams by purchasing the multi pack.

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area

Chicago Cubs
St. Louis Cardinals
Minnesota Twins
Milwaukee Brewers
Chicago White Sox
Kansas City Royals

I currently get CSN-Chicago. Will I get any additional games on the added FSN's for these teams by adding the multi sports pack?

You don't get any games for Pro teams if you add the sports package. Only your local RSN's games.

tsduke

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 6, 2007
Iowa
So let me get this straight. If E* had MLB the Cards would be blacked out on the MLB package, but if had the multi pack I still don't get the games? Something doesn't seem right here.

DWS44

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2004
Rock Hill, SC
As they have stated, you can only get the games on you normal local RSN. All other professional sports games on any other RSN channels would be blacked out. Otherwise the E* multi-sport package would be in direct competition with the out-of-market packages (like Sunday Ticket, Extra Innings, etc.)

Sounds like the Cards would be blacked out for you (even in the EI package) based solely on your location.

If you really want to see the Cards, you might consider "moving" to St. Louis. (Do a forum search if you want to learn more about "moving")

mdonnelly

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Aug 26, 2004
Mustang, OK
My personal experience with the Multi-sport package is that I get all the pro teams that are blacked out in my area. If one of my teams is blacked out on ESPN, I can get it on the RSN or the local OTA channel.

My default RSN is FSNSW, and that gives me the Rangers and Astros.
With the MS package, I also get Cardinals games on FSNMW.

garn9173

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 11, 2004
Ankeny, IA

Chicago Cubs
St. Louis Cardinals
Minnesota Twins
Milwaukee Brewers
Chicago White Sox
Kansas City Royals

With a subscription to sports pack, you'll receive the Cardnails and Twins. You should already be getting the Brewers on one of the alternate channels and depending on were you are at in Iowa, you will also get the Royals on one of the alternate channels. At least thats the way it was when I was on E* and since i'm on D* now, I still subscribe to the sports pack and get every midwestern MLB team except the Royals, which is my team :( Don't ask me why since KC is the closest MLB market to Des Moines that their games are entirely blacked out.

It's this way with the NBA and NHL as well, with the sports pack, you'll get the T-wolves, Wild, and Blues during the fall and winter months. That's in addition to the Bulls and Blackhawks on CSN Chicago.

As they have stated, you can only get the games on you normal local RSN. All other professional sports games on any other RSN channels would be blacked out. Otherwise the E* multi-sport package would be in direct competition with the out-of-market packages (like Sunday Ticket, Extra Innings, etc.)

Sounds like the Cards would be blacked out for you (even in the EI package) based solely on your location.

If you really want to see the Cards, you might consider "moving" to St. Louis. (Do a forum search if you want to learn more about "moving")

The entire state of Iowa is "claimed" by every Midwestern MLB team to be in their respective home TV market, so these teams are blacked out on EI and MLB.TV.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Its because he is new and has less then 5 posts, it hides his posts which have urls in them. (Its one of our spam prevention systems) :)

CTownPride

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jun 6, 2007
Ahh I see... thanks for the explanation.

And thanks for the cool site! I just found it today.

tsduke

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 6, 2007
Iowa
Ok, I figured the best way to find out was to call on add the pack. Twins are playing right now on FoxW and FoxN and I'm watching the game on FoxN.

Now if only FoxN was in HD I'd be happy. I'll see what happens with the Cards and others later.

bela_blasko2006

SatelliteGuys Guru
Nov 4, 2006
Bartlesville, OK
http://www.maurybrown.com/images/MLBTerritories.jpg

This is the blackout map the MLB has setup. It's ridiculous, but it's the way it is. There is no alternative for watching the games although you could get the audio through mlb.com

If you get the Sports Package you do get the end of the games that run over the 3 hour "blackout" period. Currently i have found MASN (Orioles/Nats) do not black out the replays of their games. MASN blacks out EVERY redsox game-even replays of games 20 years old! That has frustrated me to no end.

CapeFish

SatelliteGuys Guru
Sep 24, 2004
Cape Coral, FL -- College: FSU
OK, this user in Iowa can add MLB games with the Multi Sports Pack

Chicago Cubs - CSN Chicago (AT100+)
St. Louis Cardinals - FSN Midwest (Multi Sport with HD available)
Minnesota Twins - FSN North (Multi Sport)
Milwaukee Brewers - FSN Wisconsin (May need Multi Sport, but check your Alternate RSN Channels for these games)
Chicago White Sox - CSN Chicago (AT100+)
Kansas City Royals - RSTN (Dish doesn't have a deal with RSTN for Royals games in Iowa*)

In theory, by adding the Multi Sports Pack you would add every local team's RSN games except for the Royals, which in 2008 you should get. Adding the Multi Sports Pack would benefit you a great deal. Call Dish and check with them though.

*FSN Midwest carries RSTN to Kansas, Nebraska, and portions of Missouri and that is how those areas get the Royals via Dish/DirecTV/Cable. Good news is that the Royals are folding RSTN and moving back onto FSN Midwest in 2008 so you should be able to see the games in Iowa again via Dish Network.

Happy Baseball Watching! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)