Multiswitch connections pls helpp!!

wylinn

Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
A few months i added an extra reciever to the house. I have two dual dishes. I had them professionally installed when i first got the house. what i saw coming from the dishes outside was four wires combined to two connections (one wire from each dish). To make this short, i saw one wire went to the redirectly to the reciever and the other to another reciever. I tapped into that one going to the 2nd reciever and hooked it up to multiswitch. And attachted my two recievers to the output of the multiswitch. The problem Im having is i am not getting all the channels, and now since i upgraded to more channels none of my recievers are getting those extra channels. Is it possible my dish doesn't handle those "top 60 channels" or is it just my connection? There are 3 inputs to the multiswitch (can't remember but i believe 9v and 13v and ant.) should i spit the wire into two and connect it to both 9v and 13v? Please let me know. Any advice is helpful!! thank youu

I attachted a diagram of what i did b/c i know i might have been confusing.

Attachments

• satellite.JPG
    satellite.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 307
you can not split a combined signal, you will need to install a DP34 sw at the point where the two dishes combine. depending if you have legacy or DP equipment. if legacy a SW64 will be required

BnT said:
you can not split a combined signal, you will need to install a DP34 sw at the point where the two dishes combine. depending if you have legacy or DP equipment. if legacy a SW64 will be required

ok the way i have it, i didn't try to split the signal but wanted to know what i was doing wrong. I have two dishes, one for international channels and the other one for local channels. The combiner were installed by the company themselves and pretty sure thier right. I don't know where im going wrong? was i sopposed to connect a wire to both 9v and 13v on the multiswitch?

If i were to start over and add another reciever how would i go about doing this?

what kind of "combiner is it" an SW 21 perhaps? if you have 3 receivers go with a DP 34 in place and change out the lnb's so they are DP as well, you should be seeing the 110, 119 and 61.5 judging by what your diagram is showing. you will need either a DP 34 or a 64sw

Dish Dude said:
what kind of "combiner is it" an SW 21 perhaps? if you have 3 receivers go with a DP 34 in place and change out the lnb's so they are DP as well, you should be seeing the 110, 119 and 61.5 judging by what your diagram is showing. you will need either a DP 34 or a 64sw

so what your saying is i need to take off the sw21 and replace it with dp34. then take the single outputs to the each of the recievers?

I thought multiswitch just takes the signal and spreads it to other recievers. Is it possible to have the sw 21 combine the signal into one then have that going into multiswitch and output to 3 recievers? im sorry but i might be asking stupid questions but i don't i can afford to call dish network people 60 dollars a hr plus 100 jus to come take a look at it when i can just make some adjustments.

if you have a SW21 in place chances are that you have legacy equipment. you will need to insert a SW64 in the SW21 place. remove the multi switch entirely. hook all receivers up to the SW64.

Please hit Menu/6/1/1 and post the results of your switch check. It sounds like you have a 500Twin with and SW21. If this is the case, you will have the switch as an SW21-3Sat. This is how it should be setup for regular 110/119 and 61.5 or 148 intl. It sounds like you may be having a problem with one of your LNBs. please post the results of the switch test from BOTH receivers. You may not be getting the 110. If your check switch only shows SW21 and that you are getting the 119 & 148/61.5 then you will need to have your 119 dish upgraded to a Dish500, which E* will do for no charge or a small charge. Good luck.

the multi switch is just not going to do the trick for you-get a legacy 64 switch at the dishes for all the receivers and you have solved your problem. You won't need 21 switches or anything else...

jrjcd said:
the multi switch is just not going to do the trick for you-get a legacy 64 switch at the dishes for all the receivers and you have solved your problem. You won't need 21 switches or anything else...

There seems to be some confusion here. He only has 2 receivers and he is NOT trying to add any more receivers. He is trying to find out why he isn't getting certain channels since he has upgraded from the Top60 w/ internationals to the Top120 with internationals. He evidently either has a problem with the 110, OR he doesn't have a Dish500, but 2 D300's, one pointing at the 119 and another at either the 61.5 or the 148.

larrystotler said:
Please hit Menu/6/1/1 and post the results of your switch check. It sounds like you have a 500Twin with and SW21. If this is the case, you will have the switch as an SW21-3Sat. This is how it should be setup for regular 110/119 and 61.5 or 148 intl. It sounds like you may be having a problem with one of your LNBs. please post the results of the switch test from BOTH receivers. You may not be getting the 110. If your check switch only shows SW21 and that you are getting the 119 & 148/61.5 then you will need to have your 119 dish upgraded to a Dish500, which E* will do for no charge or a small charge. Good luck.

ok i have little more details now

install summary i am getting:
installed switch:sw21 3-sat

input 1 1 2 2 2 2
salite 61.5 61.5 110 110 119 119
polarity odd even odd even odd even

and has a check next to alternate

i got this with some help from a friend and now i find out the system isn't activated for some reason when all my other recievers are working fine and I even got billed for this. I called it a night been working on this all day so if there is anything i should know for tommorrow please let me know. Thanks to all those who helped.

Now we know for sure you have a legacy LNB/switch setup, likely with a Twin as Larry said. There is nothing you can add to a Twin to make it work with more than 2 tuners - it will have to be replaced. The multiswitch you added is locking the SW21 to either high or low voltage meaning it either won't be able to select one of its inputs or won't be able to pass the proper commands up to the Twin. In short, it's not designed for a multi-sat setup. Your options:

- get 2 legacy Duals or a legacy Quad for the Dish500. Put an SW64 where the SW21s are now.
- put a legacy Quad on the Dish500. Leave the 2 SW21s in place, choose which receiver does not need 61.5.
- Convert to DishPro. We need to know what receivers you have in order to determine if this is worthwhile.

More info:
Twin: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/35
Legacy switches: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/11
DishPro: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/217

wylinn said:
i got this with some help from a friend and now i find out the system isn't activated for some reason when all my other recievers are working fine and I even got billed for this. I called it a night been working on this all day so if there is anything i should know for tommorrow please let me know. Thanks to all those who helped.

What exactly are you trying to do? Add a 3d receiver/tuner, or fix what is not working.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)