Multiswitch question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kevindef

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 12, 2004
I have a 18X20 dish that has the multiswitch built into the end of the arm that holds the 3 LNB's. There are 4 lines that come out the back of the dish that run to 4 receivers. I would like to add a 5th. receiver. My question is how do I deal with the fact that there is a multiswitch built in, that the LNB's are attached to??? I know I need to get a multiswitch of some sort, but am totally new to this. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kevin

If you have the integrated multiswitch in the Phase III dish, you will need a CASCADABLE 4x6 or 4x8, or 5x6 or 5x8 if you wanted to add in an OTA signal for distribution. Check with Value Elecronics (forum sponsor) or SolidSignal(dot)com to get the proper multiswitch.

I am about to put my Terk BMS 5x8 on eBay. I had to swap it out to get programming on the 95 sat. I used it without a problem for three or four months. It would work fine, if you don't need anything off the 72.5 or 95 sats.

Cascading Multiswitch

Actually the dish I have is a Winegard. I am assuming it doesn't make any difference. If I use a CASCADABLE 4x6 or 4x8, or 5x6 or 5x8, do I connect the 4 lines coming out of the back ( they are the lines running to my receivers ) to the inputs on the NEW multiswitch and then run lines to the 5 receivers from the out ports? Sorry if I sound so simple. Thanks.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Thanks for all the help!!!! It is MUCH appreciated. I just installed the system myself and should have planned things a little better. I knew each line coming out had to go to 1 receiver and figured I would just have 4 receivers and leave my son with a cable hook-up. Then I started looking here and knew there must be a way to add a 5th. receiver. I had no clue that Phase III was a type of dish. Can I mount the Multiswitch up near the dish or should it be installed inside?

The cascadable switch requires power, so it is easier to connect it where all four lines from the dish enter the house. Then distribute to the receivers from there.

Mounting Location for Multi-Switch

Ideally, the switch should be mounted inside the house in a climate controlled area. You will need power for the switch and the power should not come from any overly sensitive GFI outlet.

Having said that, mine is up in my attic in Houston where it gets pretty toasty/humid in the summers. So far, no problem.

Hope this helps!

kevindef said:
Thanks for all the help!!!! It is MUCH appreciated. I just installed the system myself and should have planned things a little better. I knew each line coming out had to go to 1 receiver and figured I would just have 4 receivers and leave my son with a cable hook-up. Then I started looking here and knew there must be a way to add a 5th. receiver. I had no clue that Phase III was a type of dish. Can I mount the Multiswitch up near the dish or should it be installed inside?

Spaun or Eagle Aspen Multiswitch

OK! Thanks for everyones help. Is there any reason at all for going with a Spaun Multiswitch over an Eagle Aspen??? I see the price of the Spaun is through the roof compared to the Eagle Aspen. What advantages can there be? I just can't see spending $370 on a 5X8 Spaun versus $70 for a 5X8 Eagle Aspen. This is for 5 receivers. 1 of the receivers is a Hi Def receiver, no Tivo. Thanks.

I've got a 4X8 multiswitch that the installer installed when I got my 2nd DTivo. It's mounted on the fence outside with a cable coming in through my window using a piece of flat coax to the power supply. Works fine here. We've had a lot of rain since it was installed and even freezing temps. If you mount it outside make sure you use silicone sealent with coax covers to cover the 3 ports that you won't be using. Also put some of the sealent around the coax connections to the multiswitch.

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

Phase II Dish not Phase III

OK....apparently, my dish is a Phase II dish and not a Phase III. I picked it up a few years ago as a 2 LNB oval dish. I then purchased a Sat C kit and added that to the dish. All has been working flawlessly. I now want to add a 5th receiver, which is where I am having problems. I purchased a Terk BMS 58 and tried using this, but it doesn't work. I guess Phase III and Phase II work differently. My dish now has 3 LNB's but each LNB can be individually removed and replaced if necessary. I see that the Phase III dishes, the 3 LNB's are 1 unit. Am I correct so far? I am having a difficult time trying to find a Multiswitch that will allow me to add a 5th. receiver. The Multiswitch on the dish is built into the arm and the LNB's plug into it with 4 cables running out the back of the dish each labled to receiver. I would prefer to have a multiswitch that I can use outside because of the way the cabling is run. However, if need be, I will redo some cabling if I have to mount indoors. 3 of the cable runs are just over 100 feet each. Can anyone recommend a multiswitch for this situation???? I looked at the Zinwell, but it looks like the Phase II is not recommended for use with the Zinwell.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,
They don't recomend using the flex port with a phase 2 dish(the lnbs draw too much power).The switch itself will work fine.But if you would like I will send a phase 3 dish also for 30.00 more.

Or you can use one of the other 4x8 switches listed on the same page as the link I put in my last post.

Flex Port

Actually, I wouldn't need the Flex Port. At least I don't think I would. I would just connect the 4 wires coming from my dish to the 4 inputs on the switch. Am I correct?

Kevin

You are correct.It will work fine the way you want to use it.You are basicly using it as a 4x8 multiswitch,the flex ports are for 72.5 locals or 95 international sats.Send me an address I will send it out if you if you want to try it.Pay me when you get it going.

steelerector@charter.net

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)