Status
Not open for further replies.

motorcycle_rider

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 8, 2004
Northeast Michigan
Today while driving I was listening to the radio when Red Hot Chili Peppers doing "Fire" came on. This started to make me wonder about copyright issues. So I have a few scenarios which I do not have an answer for but figured it would make for a good discussion.

Scenario one:
A "garage band" performs live music. Most of their music consists of popular songs by various Artists, are they technically required to get permission from the "label" to perform these songs? I know that most "garage bands" do not get this permission but was wondering if they are supposed to.

Scenario two:
A "Published Artist" is performing live music, they decide to do their version of another "Published Artist". This song is not a song that the performer has ever recorded. Are they required to get permission from the "label" to perform these songs.

Scenario three:
A "Published Artist" wishes to record a remake of another "Published Artist". I am assuming in this case they need to get permission from the "label" to record their remake of the song. Is this the case?

Again I do not know the answers to these just became curious while driving.

if an artist is on the same label they have permission to sing/record the song, if the artist is on a different label then they go to the songwriter, artist or label who ever owns the song..hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts