Mute point but still, WHY?

Suppafreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
The Ducks lost so this question now is irrelevent, but I still would like to know why?

I live in L.A. and all the Lakers game were shown on FSN West and KCAL 9 in HD. Sometimes TNT and ESPN would carry the same game as a local channel and the game broadcasted in TNT or ESPN would not be blacked out.

Yet when it comes to hockey it is entirely different story. Why would the HD broadcast of the game on VS be blackout and instead I am forced to watch SD broadcast on FSN Prime, which by the way also an HD channel?

Last edited:
Please explain, WHY?

Ohhh, stop the maddness!!!!

I changed "mute'' in the message to irrelevent.

It would be a lot more enjoyable to just sit down in front of the entertainment center and view what you "thought" was a channel that you have paid for. In the "mess" that is called "blackouts", there are rules and rights. If you can make any logical sense out of either, good luck. In the mean time, enjoy your setup.

I live in NE Pennsylvania and have the NY RSN's. I am able to watch Rangers and Knicks games but am blacked out for Devils and Nets games even though I am geographically closer to NJ. These blackout rules make no sense.

FWIW, NHL blackout rules when in relation to national vs. local feeds are based upon what is known as the "sphere of influence." I know personally for the ducks that it is a 100 mile radius from Anaheim that determines the blackout. The long and short of last nights game was that FSN-Prime Ticket paid for the local rights and they are afforded the right to protect their advertising dollars. Yeah, it sucks, but complain to the Ducks and Prime Ticket, they could have broadcast in HD, but they didn't.

Now, what I don't get, and even the NHL's VP of Communications couldn't explain to me was how in the world my neighbor with cable can get the versus feed, yet those of use with DISH or Directv were blacked out.

Oh, and Center Ice has a whole different set of rules as it pertains to blackouts.

Don't even get me started about the local HD broadcast of NHL games. I think there were total of 20 HD games combined for Kings and Ducks. I do not know about Ducks, but I know for sure that the cameras used in Staples Center for Lakers, owned by FOX Sports. If FOX uses the cameras for the Lakers broadcasts what is so dificult about turning them ON for the Kings games. It is not like they remove the cameras after each Lakers game.

I'm sorry, I didn't hear your original question. I needed to moot my stereo. Now, your question was about a mute point.....

Ohhh, stop the maddness!!!!

I changed "mute'' in the message to irrelevent.

One one "d" in Madness:

madness_7.jpg

Don't even get me started about the local HD broadcast of NHL games. I think there were total of 20 HD games combined for Kings and Ducks. I do not know about Ducks, but I know for sure that the cameras used in Staples Center for Lakers, owned by FOX Sports. If FOX uses the cameras for the Lakers broadcasts what is so dificult about turning them ON for the Kings games. It is not like they remove the cameras after each Lakers game.

No, but they remove the truck(s) outside the arena with the equipment in it that processes the HD feed. HD is gonna be more expensive to produce, and they aren't going to waste it on hockey in LA, which I would guess gets terrible ratings (especially relative to Lakers basketball). Here in Pittsburgh, about half the Penguins' games (including almost every home game) were in HD. Penguins hockey is also some of the highest rated programming on any of the Fox Sports Nets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)