My 4G Drive-around with Sprint in Las Vegas

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
My 4G Drive-around with Sprint in Las Vegas - Yahoo! News

CTIA Show, Las Vegas -- Sprint was kind enough to drive me around Las Vegas showing me the performance of the 4G service it provides over the Clearwire WiMAX network here, and I saw some impressive download speeds.

My tour guide was Iyad Tarazi, Sprint’s VP of 4G WiMAX network development. During our 20-minute drive on and around the Las Vegas Strip, we measured network speed using testing software running on a laptop with a Clearwire modem.

The Clearwire network consistently pumped out download speeds in the neighborhood of 11 to 13 megabits per second (mbps). We drove through two areas where the speeds were much lower—in the 2 to 5 mbps range—but I never saw the download speed meter dip below 2 mbps. With download speed of more than 2 mbps you can watch a streaming video in high definition. ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Our wireless testing partner, Novarum Inc., tested the Clearwire WiMAX service in three cities – Baltimore, Portland and Seattle—during January. In those tests, the Clearwire network produced an average download speed of 2.34 mbps, and an average upload speed of 873 kbps.

That seems awfully slow for clearwire. In Las Vegas, I usually get those download speeds with 3G on Verizon. Are you sure you weren't off a decimal on that download?

That seems awfully slow for clearwire. In Las Vegas, I usually get those download speeds with 3G on Verizon. Are you sure you weren't off a decimal on that download?

With Clear here in DFW, I get 2-5Mbps.

The Clearwire network consistently pumped out download speeds in the neighborhood of 11 to 13 megabits per second (mbps). We drove through two areas where the speeds were much lower—in the 2 to 5 mbps range—but I never saw the download speed meter dip below 2 mbps. With download speed of more than 2 mbps you can watch a streaming video in high definition.

Somehow I missed this in my first read. That is more like what I would expect from Clearwire. Sorry Poke.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts