My 5 LNB Installation Saga

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Seed

Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Hello,

I just wanted to share my 5 LNB installation with you.

A few weeks back I called DTV and scheduled the installation of the new dish. I currently have the old 3 LNB dish- pole mounted. I knew that the pole location would have to change with the new dish, since there are a number of trees blocking my dish right now (even though I am getting fairly good signal strength now) So the DTV contractor came out and did a site survey and told me that there was only one good area that would offer a line of sight (LOS), but one of the neighbors trees had limbs that was blocking it. I showed him several other areas on my property where I thought a strong signal could be obtained, but he checked them out and said the one he chose was best. I told him that I could probably talk the neighbors into letting me cut the limbs back. he said that would be great and then once that is done, I could get the dish installed, so that is what we agreed to. I talked to my neighbor and they were happy to oblige me, so I called a professional that I used before to take the limbs down since they were quite high and I did not even own a chain saw. So within the next few days, I get the limbs taken down. Allright... I am good to go....so I call and schedule install try #2.

Installer #2 comes and I explain what the other guy told me and he basically said that the location where Installer #1 said to go was no good, since there was one large tree aways away in my neighbors yard that would block the signal, and he suggested another site that would best. The funny thing is, that his suggested site, was one of the places I had asked Install #1 to check out. So...I tell him that story and he hands me his transit (or whatever you call it) and says the new sats are in between 210 and 230 and 25 degrees inclination. I use it and see for myself that there is a good clean LOS. However, for this site to work, I need to take down 2 limbs that are quite high up. Unfortunately, he said that in order for him to properly align the dish, the install should wait until the limbs are down. Hmm where have I heard this before?

Actually, I trust Installer #2 and he did some prep work for the NEXT install date for me, which is in 10 days. I asked if I would get signal strengths in the 90's and he told me he has no doubt since it is a clean LOS and he told me that he hopes he will be the one to come back, since all the prep work has been done. I called the tree service and left a message that I have more work for them.

After he leaves, I call DTV and tell them this saga and complained that 2 installers have told me 2 different things and that I spent money taking down limbs and will have to spend money to take down additional limbs at a different site. I told them I wanted some compensation and they obliged me with a decent credit to my acct.

I know many people have similar stories and Installer 2 told me some good ones. I just wish there was some consistency among the installers and hopefully, I will not get a 3rd installer who tells me something different.

Anyway....I have had a bumpy path to get the new 5 LNB dish....and the additional HD channels...and it best be worth it!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)