My 508 is Dying

Nebugeater

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
I have a 508 still in use but it is dying I believe. I have had no issues with it until recently and now it locks and requires a hard reset way too often and is getting more frequent. Not complaining it has served us well and had MANY hours of use.
My main receiver is a 722K and I have the HD split via HDMI splitter to multiple TV's and that works fine as they are on TV's that we NEVER watch at the same time. I am out of contract commitment on the 722K. The 508 is owned.

I have not been following receiver options much since I haven't been in the market to replace anything and the only thing I have looked at is the Hopper but it does not have the over the air antenna and that is a show stopper for me. We use the OTA on the 722K all the time. Also use the Sling adaptor on it but it failed on me about a week ago :( and will not power up as the indicator light shows)

The 508 is used in a location that HD would be nice but not a 100% requirement (OK, it is to me but not the wife). The 508 does some recording but not much, most of that is done on the 722K. If it was HD then maybe it would get more use. I have paid the external HD fee and have a HD on my 722K.

Any thoughts on what I should be looking at if the above description of use is detailed enough? Is a receiver with an External HD only option for DVR functionality going to require another activation fee or is the fee I paid one time per account? Probably looking to purchase a replacement and not lease. Do not want to lock in another 2 year commitment in case I want to switch to Hopper at some point in the future.

501/508/510s are being replaced FREE OF CHARGE as they fail with DISH 512 DVRs. Call DISH or contact a DIRT member for other upgrade options. A 211/211K with an external hard drive would be the closest to your 508 and it does have OTA built in.

So with the Dish replacment with a 512 or possable discounted other option does that trigger a reset on the 2 yr commitment?

Might want to suffer thru for another month. Hopper OTA module might be out by then. It's listed in the Dish Store but not shipping yet. In any event, Hopper OTA seems to be almost with us. Then you have one changeout not two, perhaps a more suitable system for you, and offhand, depending upon how many Joeys you get, your bill might go down. And your EHD will work with the Hopper

maryb@Dish Network said:
Hi, I would be happy to assist you with any question you have. Please PM me your account or phone number. Thank you!

PM sent

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)