My 522 came set to record star trek?!

speedyox

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
Aurora, IL
I just got Dish network Saturday morning and the installation seemed to go fine. The installer programmed the remotes to operate the vcrs and tvs while I talked to DN customer service on the phone about my local channels. When I sat down in front of TV1 to play around, I noticed that there were several scheduled events already set to record on TV2. I seems my 522 has an affinity for sci-fi programming and was wanting to record about 7 programs in the upcoming days. My wife was upstairs at TV2 and claimed she didn't set the recordings and didn't even know how to record yet (plus, she wouldn't record star trek on purpose)

I deleted the "default" timers and added about a dozen of my own. I havn't checked for a recurrance yet.

Is there any reason why there could have been timers scheduled out-of-the-box?

Sounds like you got a referbished box which they forgot to clear the memory off of. This is the 2nd or 3rd time I have heard of this happening.

Hi speedyox, welcome to sat guys!

I'd say it's very likely that the box belonged to someone else that cancelled and dish didn't reset the box. where there any shows in the DVR list?

ShadowEKU said:
I hate to ask... but Was it Star Trek, Stargate SG-1, and stargate Atlantis? If so I think you could have gotten my original 522.
It was Star Trek and Stargate SG-1 and a couple of others but I'm not sure about Atlantis. That would be pretty odd. What was wrong with your last box?

There were no recordings on the HDD.

Hi all. And thanks for the replies.

If it is a refurbished box, they did a good job of masking it with the packaging-- the cords were all neatly folded, the cables were all bagged, and it was perfectly clean. Dirty spots, missing twist ties, and wrapped cords are what usually tip me off to something being refurbished.

Tuner 2 died. They dont take the cables back.. so they would just throw new ones in. I cleared off the recordings I know.. because I had some PPV on there and such. I know I had SG-1 and Star Trek but I dont know if I kept atlantis on there after the season was over. Somehow I wouldnt be surprised if you did get my old box. If it has timers on it its referb. As for marks I like to keep all my equipment immaculate so it could still be it... Funny though.

Could be one that is used that was taken out of a previous customer's house that didnt pay a bill or didnt want it anymore. Dish Network is having retailers reuse those receivers.

ShadowEKU said:
I hate to ask... but Was it Star Trek, Stargate SG-1, and stargate Atlantis? If so I think you could have gotten my original 522.

Also, TV1 was recoding the Dead Zone. Does that eliminate our unlikely possibility?