My 5th 522 is on its way

ericag02

Original poster
Oct 4, 2004
Texas
So, I think I'm among friends when I say that the 522 is frustrating, but the potential is there so it is hard to give up on it.

Here's my story....
Had the 522 and 322 installed in our new house. It worked for 3 days until the switch in the attic overheated (the installer threw it down in the insulation....we live in the south btw). That, apparently, blew out the 2nd tuner in both the 522 and the 322.

A different installer came and replaced the switch and both the 522 and the 322.

The 522 worked fine for about 2 months, and then it started to act up. It would freeze and generally not operate "correctly" then, I got a harddrive must be cleaned message and a week later a horrible noise from the 522 and the HDD was completely gone and no DVR features worked.

I ponied up the $15 or so to have another shipped. I got the new one (refurbished) and it was going good for another 6 weeks or so, and then it started to do the Guide of Death. Anytime it was recording if I hit the guide it would do a soft-reboot. Then, again, I hit the guide a few days later and the 522 started to reboot. And it never stopped. I let it run all night long after numerous soft and hard reboots. Then I unplugged it for 8 hours, and the same thing happened. After about a day, I decided to call Dish and got yet another 522 mailed. This time they waived the shipping.

This one lasted exactly 12 days. Now the 2nd tuners' Coax output delivers picture to our 2nd TV, but absolutely no sound. Just gibberish. So, after a brief talk with Dish, we have our 5th receiver coming over.

I hope Dish gets its act together. I understand that problems come up, but I'm not sure what I'm doing (if anything) to cause this. I'm planning on moving the 522 to a much more ventilated area, but where it currently is seems fine. Who knows.

Anyhow, I thought I'd share.

Gotta love all the new features of the 522!

But aren't you glad you don't have to pay the additional receiver fee, by having the dual tuner/output to two different tvs? Ain't dish technology great? :rolleyes:

Yep. Its hard to give up on the 522 so easily. I really enjoy the features (the legit ones) when they work. :shrugs:

The 522 is a piece of crap. They should not have mass produced and distributed the 522 until they had worked out most of the bugs. I have had (2) 522's in like 3 weeks and both of them have had the same problems.

Every recording I do, plays back with some kind of glitches or problems. The worst, which happened to me last night(again) is when the color and sound goes out and you have to restart the movie.

ericag02 boy are you a glutton for punishment/ or a dreamer. In 10 months that I have had a 522 for a showroom demo I have just stopped counting glitches and stopped selling DISH Network their software is such crap.

If you're past three months of the install they like to charge you to replace their broken equipment.

Glad I got a 721. *ducks and hides*

It does say that somewhere in the DHA user agreement. Also it will cost you after so long (3 months also I think) just to have a tech come out. I don't remember the details. Maybe someone will post a link to the dishnetwork.com copy of the agreement? I would but I'm headed out the door after a long day...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts