My 612 gets REALLY laggy when changing channels.

Uncontrol

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Mount Pleasant, TX
Hi

I was watching a recorded show off of my DVR earlier and it froze. The audio stopped and then a few seconds later, the picture froze. I unplugged it and plugged it back in like I usually do, but this time I noticed that it was very laggy when I changed the channels. Navigating the menus is a lot better, but at times it is kind of laggy.

What can I do to fix it? I've already tried unplugging it again.

Thanks.

Darn good question. I don't think there is much if anything we can do but complain to Dish about the latest firmware. Which version are you on? My wife has on numerous occasions (after the latest firmware update) noticed that our 612 seems to store up button-presses for several seconds, and then act on them all at once. Can't be GoogleTV integration, nor Sling Adapter software, since neither are available for the 612 as yet.

Do you have locals from OTA programmed in? If so, see if the guide has the information for them, or if it says "digital" or "Info not available"

After this download I also saw it was a little slow, and lagging on button presses. Then I saw the program guide was not complete, in particular for the OTA stations but also for a couple of Sat stations also. I rebooted a couple of times and it helped, but the guide was still not complete. I then went to one of the channels that said "Info Not Available" started to browse that channel and it said the guide was out of date did I want to download it now. I did, and all has been fine since.....

Btw the guide is so fast usually on the 612 that I have to choose a channel numbers not in the guide when I want to jump ahead days at a time.....for instance on my past receiver I would enter 168 for how many hours I wanted to move ahead in the guide and it would go 7 days in advance. But the guide is now so fast, it jumps to channel 168 before I can hit the browse button. So I jump 60 hours at a time since there is no channel 60 for me.......

Last edited:
Hi

I was watching a recorded show off of my DVR earlier and it froze. The audio stopped and then a few seconds later, the picture froze. I unplugged it and plugged it back in like I usually do, but this time I noticed that it was very laggy when I changed the channels. Navigating the menus is a lot better, but at times it is kind of laggy.

Thanks.

Are you using the 612 as a primary or secondary receiver? The reason that I ask is, if it is primary, you should upgrade to a 722 or 722K, you would be much happier and if it is primary, you avoid the $17 additional receiver fee, and if it is the only receiver you have there would be no change, save for any kind of upgrade fee/contract you would have to enter to obtain a new receiver.

Hi

Thanks.

Same problem here after firmware update. *Sigh* it was working so fine... Also I noticed today advertising in program guide channel lines. WTF?

Same problem here after firmware update. *Sigh* it was working so fine... Also I noticed today advertising in program guide channel lines. WTF?
Yeah, I noticed that finally got filled in even though I've had the firmware for a few days already. Fortunately, we can turn it off with a new item in TV Enhancements. Menu 6-1-8 IIRC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts