My 622 is too bright on the 2nd tuner

RickB

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2004
San Francisco
I just had a 622 to replace my 942 and the HD tuner is ok but the 2nd (SD) tuner displays an over bright picture on my plasma, I tried it on another plasma and got the same and DISH sent another receiver and it still was the same.

Watching a basketball game the floor was white instead of yellow.
Anyone have this problem? My 942 was fine?

You should try to adjust the contrast down on your set. A signal sent over NTSC (analog) RF is the poorest (easiest) way to send a signal so there can be many problems introduced.

There are two satellite tuners; these are inputs. Both receive both SD & HD. There is also an ATSC digital OTA input tuner. Any of these tuners can feed either output or the hard disk.

There are two outputs, TV1 & TV2. I gather you are referring to TV2 and you have connected it to a plasma TV via coax. TV1 output is both SD & HD. TV2 is SD only.

Thanks navychop for your reply. I have the 2nd tuner connected to the plasma tv with rca not coax. But coax and RCA were as bad. I tried contrast and everything to compensate without success.

DISH 622 Tv2 Brightness problems

Does it look OK on the composite output from TV1?

Yes, it is perfect on the HD component output from TV!. My 942 was good on both outputs that TV1 and Tv2.
TV2 is composite or RCA (one video and 2 audio) . I have tried 2 /622 receivers and on 2 Panasonic plasma TV's with the same problems.

Yes, it is perfect on the HD component output from TV!. My 942 was good on both outputs that TV1 and Tv2.
TV2 is composite or RCA (one video and 2 audio) . I have tried 2 /622 receivers and on 2 Panasonic plasma TV's with the same problems.

Wish I had my 942 back but dish told me I could not get any HD so I
gave them my,owned 942 for a 100 dollar rebate. I paid 600 dollars for the 942 just 1 1/2 years ago and I would still have it if they hadn't lied to me many times.

I tried to get it back while it was still in shipment to El Paso and they told me it can't be done. Very frustrating dealing with DISH these days. I am ready to pay $240 and say goodbye to them and they could care less. Sorry about the string of frustration.

RF mod

The RF modulator is set incorrectly. There are gain controls and brightness adjustment setting inside of RF mods for this. Sounds like whoever set it did it incorrectly. But what is strange is that you are saying that this has happened on 2 different units. This makes me start to think that maybe the NTSC tuner on the TV is the source of the problem. It may be what has been set incorrectly. Since these are not something that is really paid much attention to on set then it may be time to contact the place where you bought the unit.

The RF modulator is set incorrectly. There are gain controls and brightness adjustment setting inside of RF mods for this. Sounds like whoever set it did it incorrectly. But what is strange is that you are saying that this has happened on 2 different units. This makes me start to think that maybe the NTSC tuner on the TV is the source of the problem. It may be what has been set incorrectly. Since these are not something that is really paid much attention to on set then it may be time to contact the place where you bought the unit.

Thanks, the dish tech came out today and he had no suggestions. We then hooked TV2 coax to a 13 inch tube TV and it was good. So the rf setting may be the problem. Both Panasonic plasma HD units were the same and I could not reduce the brightness from any settings from the remote.
I will call a technician since they are still under extended warrantee. I will let everyone know what happens before I end the thread. Thanks again everyone.

The Panasonic Plasma TV's are: TH-42PHD5 AND TH-50PHD5

...Both Panasonic plasma HD units were the same and I could not reduce the brightness from any settings from the remote..
Actually brightness control is a misnomer because it controls the black level and not the brightness or peak level. You need to lower the contrast setting to lower the peak level.

Resolution to this Thread

I was going to let the TV repairman take the tv's and I tried one more thing.

I Put the TV1 S-video output to the second input to the Panasonic Plasma TV and it was good. Then when I put the RCA video output from TV2 to the second input of My plasma TV it worked fine.

So I just put the S-Video plug into the other Panasonic Plasma TV without a signal and then took it out and tried the RCA to the second input it was still bad. So I put the S-Video plug back into it with a signal from the TV1 output and the picture was good and then unpluged it and put the RCA into the second input and it was great.

Conclusion (Theory) The S-video dedicated internal switch which S-video takes priorty over other inputs shifted somehow to allow the RCA to work. The S-video had never been plugged in before on either TV.

Unusual but it worked. Has been fine for a week plus.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

622 Audio Problems

New Menu sucks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)