My 811 dispalys OTA HD channels way darker then Sat HD Channels, anyone else?

richard_rd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 22, 2004
I have had an 811 with HD pack and a Voom receiver for 1 year now. After last nights Voom shutdown i called and had the 10 Voom channels activated on my 811 (they look great). I used to use my Voom box to pull in my OTA HD locals, but today i connected my same OTA antenna to the 811 and pull in all 5 of my digital channels (3HD/2ED) with good signal strength.

When i tune the 811 to an OTA HD local the picture is good (sharp, but something was bugging me, then i realized what it was, the picture was darker by maybe 10-20% vs the Sat HD channels like the Voom channels and Discover/HDNET. This was true for all 5 digital locals, definetely darker then with the Voom receiver. I could play with the Brightness/Contrast controls on my projector, but the pblm is the Sat HD channels like Voom and HDnet and the SD channels don't have this pblm, their brightness/contrast is fine.
I am using the Componant outputs because the Infocus Screenplay projectors are factory calibrated for the componant outputs and they show a perfect picture out of the box without having to mess with adjustments if your receiver is sending proper levels to it.

I quess what i am saying is that the 811 is sending two diferant brightness levels depending on if it uses the OTA tuner circuit or the Sat Tuner circuit (i would assume both are going through the same componant video circuit). When it uses the OTA tuner circuit the brightness is down about 10-20%. I rember old posts about the S vidio and composite video having a dark output pblm, but i am using only the componant video here. My box is a few softwrae revs back (P281), but i just read the release notes for P282/284/285/287 and i did not see this issue as being fixed or addressed as a known bug.

Does anyone elsse notice this pblm, any other people that have been using the Voom Box for OTA HD and just changed over to the 811 notice this?

Is this a know bug that has not been fixed yet?

Do you think it is bad hardware and i should request a box swapout?

Thanks in advace for any replies, and hopefully my box will do a software upgrade tonight for me.

No this is not a known bug that I am aware of. There have not been any reports I have read regarding this issue with 281 onward. I would first get this puppy up to a later version if possible. Why is it at 281?

I have not read or heard anybody complain about tuner specific brightness issues. With ever release there seems to be some posts about it changing PQ for people so being on the lastest you may see an improvement.

As to a box swap. I would first get up to the latest firmware rev and see how things are then. Also, how long have you been watching the 811 in this configuration. Are you sure it is not content based? I know certain programs show dark in HD.

It has been a while since component had dark video issues. Not sure when it was fixed so I will trust your peak at the release notes.

My 6000 is the same way, when I watch the HDPack everything is way lighter than OTA or Voom was. I have 2 settings in my pj and I switch depending on what I am watching. I have DVD, DVHS, OTA and Voom on setting 1, DVI on setting 2 and Dish Sat HD on setting 3. It's like they are sending their contrast turned down and the brightness turned up.

WeeJavaDude said:
No this is not a known bug that I am aware of. There have not been any reports I have read regarding this issue with 281 onward. I would first get this puppy up to a later version if possible. Why is it at 281?

I have not read or heard anybody complain about tuner specific brightness issues. With ever release there seems to be some posts about it changing PQ for people so being on the lastest you may see an improvement.

As to a box swap. I would first get up to the latest firmware rev and see how things are then. Also, how long have you been watching the 811 in this configuration. Are you sure it is not content based? I know certain programs show dark in HD.

It has been a while since component had dark video issues. Not sure when it was fixed so I will trust your peak at the release notes.

This has been seen before. Here is a post I made.....

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=275309&postcount=70

I have the EXACT same problem with the dark HD OTA channels with my 811 AND like sixbears I have a Pioneer Elite RPHDTV. Decided to rehook up my VOOM box and use that for HD OTA. Forgot how phenomenal HDNET and DISCHD look with the 811/Elite setup. Expect the VOOM10 to look just as nice next week when the second E* dish is installed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)