My 922 is sick and Dish CSR's are diagnosing me as crazy.

DVDDAD

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Huntington, Long Island, NY
I got my 922 the day it was released and up until recently. Although it had its problems with the early software versions, it improved with each and every software update. It's been working great, but the way it's behaving lately, I can understand way so many hate it so much. It all started when all my recordings on my EHD were erased. At the time I thought it was just my hard drive, but looking back, my 922 was likely the culprit. Then the 922 couldn't format most new EHD's to it. I tried four different drives, only one was successfully formated. The others would later format just fine on my 622. Once formatted they worked fine on the 922. Then my program logo's all disappeared, not for just a day or two but for about a week. At the same time my 922 began just being sluggish. Scrolling through the guide and my timers was painful at times. Even simple things like pause, play, skip ahead or skip back didn't always respond as they normally did. While scrolling through my timers and the guide, sometimes the screen froze, although video played through the small window. The remote wouldn't scroll any further and was non-responsive. I couldn't exit out of my timers or the program guide, then it would reboot on it's own. Now it seems to reboot two or three times a day. Most of the time it's in the middle of doing one or more recordings. Now the search feature only wants to work sometimes. It can't find many things that are in the Program Guide and My Recordings. Try hitting search while you are watching something, you should always get at least the program you're currently watching, but not my 922. The CSR's I've spoken to have had me replace my batteries in my remote (even though the 922 reports them as good), un-linked and re-linked my remote, and tell me I have to just wait until the morning when I get my daily software update. I'm a long time experienced Dish user and would consider myself an expert user of the 922. Besides the two or three reboots a day it does on it's own, this 922 is hooked up to a UPS and I can easily turn it's power off simulating a power plug pull and have done so whenever I experienced a problem. When the 922 first came out talking to an advanced tech on the 922 was a pleasure, now it seems everyone I talk to says they are a member of the advanced technical support team for the 922, but clearly are not. How can I truely get someone on the advanced technical support team?

Have you tried to bypass the surge protector? The Advanced Tech agents should have asked you to try this.

I have none of my dish dvrs and receivers on a surge protector any longer. I like them to link through the electrical wiring so they would use dish comm .

I have both mine, along with the complete AV systems, on fancy APC AV line conditioners/UPSes. They are plugged in to both the phone line and the internet. I am a big believer in these, and I don't think his problems are power related. I suspect the internal HDD on the ViP922.

Take Scott's advice.

Besides the UPS, I also have a power conditioner, so I don't think that brown-outs are a problem. The power conditioner and the UPS are the same ones I've used for years and they have never given me a problem, and that's something I can't say for Dish's equipment. I have the protection plan and called last night after posting my rant and demanded that they replace the receiver. Unfortunately, I guess Dish did away with that special 922 support team, because even though I asked to be switched to the advanced technical support team for the 922, I got a regular tech that said that he was "trained" on the 922. However it was obvious that he has never really used one. He did start to tell me that I should power the receiver off and that should fix the problems, but obviously he didn't listen to me too well, because I did tell him that I've been trying that for two weeks and the problems don't go away and the receiver re-booting on its own every day, sometimes two or three times a day is something that I can't live with any longer. I demanded that if he couldn't swap out my receiver that I wanted to speak with someone who could. He finally gave in and set me up for a replacement. Thanks, Scott and everyone else that posted. As always if you want your questions answered about Dishnetwork, don’t call them, just go to www.satelliteguys.us first!

glad you got a resolution, I am an advanced tech with dish, these issues usually don't fix themselves. when it starts it's best to call right away

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)